Lenovo vs. Asus

Status
Not open for further replies.

m8cct

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hi there! I'm in the market for a new gaming-oriented laptop, and I've come across two or three that I'm seriously considering, and I thought I'd ask for advice from people a bit more knowledgeable than me...which of these are the better buy? (Keep in mind, I go to school, and I have but a part time job, so money is a big issue for me, my budget was <$800)

1. Lenovo IdeaPad Y570
$780
Intel Core i5 2430M 2.40GHz
15.6" HD
6GB DDR3
750GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M (1GB)

2. ASUS A53SV-NH71
$750
Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.2GHz
15.6" LED
6GB DDR3
500GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (1GB)

There is also a third, which is not being considered as strongly, but is considerably cheaper and also looks pretty good, so I'll throw it in here.

3. TOSHIBA Satellite L755-S5354
$600
Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz
15.6"
4GB DDR3
640GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M (1GB)

Opinions? Any suggests of similar machines in this price range that might be better? Thanks so much!

Solution
The only games i have that it struggles with are BF3 and Crysis 2. And even then it gets decent fps at higher then console settings.

Yes as a laptop you are going to lose performance, but you gain portability, accessibility ect. It comes down to your lifestyle, budget and priority's.

For the price the y570 will outperform any similarly priced laptop. I think its a great buy. But should you you would rather have desktop and get better performance then more power to you. Once again it comes down to your budget, priorities and lifestyle.

Think long and hard about it. But you will be happy either route you go. Computers rock. :)

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
you cant say gaming and laptop in the same sentence. with that being said option 1 would be the best gaming wise as it has the best graphics card. you say the lenovo has an hd screen so i assume its 1080p but is the resolution of the asus 1366x768? if so then the asus would get better frame rates at the same graphical settings but it wouldnt look as good.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
of the options given I would do the lenovo, but to be honest I dont really like any of them. It is hard to find a work-horse/gaming laptop in that price range. The money would be better spent on a good netbook or cheap laptop, and then building a little game rig down the line.

m8cct

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
cbrunnem: Why can't I say gaming and laptop in the same sentence?

caedenv: When you say "building a game rig", you mean making a desktop? I'm open to that idea, I have friends that have done it before and could help me out, but I've had one of them tell me it's not worth it unless I want to buy something pretty high end (ie: more than I'm able to pay). How much would it cost to build a computer with the specs I'd be looking for?

Another reason I considered desktops but have not really sprung for the idea is because I do a lot of moving around, and I feel like having a laptop is definitely ideal for my lifestyle. I'm working on an old IBM ThinkPadT60 which is still chugging along and has excellent power for its age (though it's passed its prime; I've had it for 4 years, and I got it slightly used.) and I'm probably going to keep it around for a while, so I guess I could use it as a supplementary "cheap" laptop, as you say.

Bran187

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I have a lenovo y560p. Handles most games exceptionally with its i7 and 6570m. It kind of struggles with bf3 and crysis2 but you can always bump down the res if your not picky. (im a res freak so i take nothing below native). But yeah lenovo makes a pretty decent laptop for gaming.

BC2 high settings 4xaa no hbao average 40-60fps at 1366x768.
Bf3 medium (ultra textures) settings, no hbao, no aa 1366x768 27-40fps.
Skyrim high settings, 4xaa, 1366x768 solid 40-60fps.
Modern Warfare 3 maxed out at 1366x768 40-60fps.

So yeah get the Y570. It will out perform my Y560p even with the i5 (only not by a whole lot judging by some things i have read and some videos on youtube) but expect better performance on the y570.

Great budget laptops. :) I have had mine for over 6months with no issues at all and has been a very suitable gaming laptop. Runs everything i throw at it. You will be happy with it. But remember its a laptop so BF3 and Crysis 2 you wont get full eyecandy. :) Happy gaming.

Bran187

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Also, laptop cooling pad is a must! Best 20 bucks you will ever spend.

Your temps will be very high in gpu intensive games. If your gaming indoors turn down the brightness of your monitor. Believe it or not it lowers your temps by about 10 degrees. But yeah thats a whole different story. lol

Happy gaming. :)

Bran187

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

You are very welcome.

Also remember to update your drivers right out of the gate, but go to Nvidias website. Lenovo is notorious for having extremely outdated drivers on their site. :)

I'll throw in my vote for the Lenovo Y570.

I have the 14" Lenovo Y470 basically the same specs, but with a nVidia GT 550m instead of the GT 555m (an overclocked GT 550m). The most demanding game I tested on it was Crysis. I benchmarked it with medium quality settings in Chapter 2 - Relic and I was able to get between 35FPS - 44FPS most of the time. The lowest it dipped for a fraction of a second was 28FPS and it peaked at 52FPS (again for a fraction of a second). I think with high settings I managed to get 18FPS - 26FPS and it dipped as low as 16FPS and peaked at 30FPS (again, fraction of a second). Kinda hard to remember exactly the results I got at high settings; it's been around 3 months since I ran those benchmarks and written my review.

Name a laptop company that isn't notorious for having extremely outdated drivers. I'm pretty sure there aren't many.

Bran187

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Fair enough. I was just giving him the heads up.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

cause for the money you pay for a laptop that can play medium high setting you can build a desktop that will max any game.

lets just be clear anyone here that says what they got on there laptops fps wise for you to get your going to have to lower your resolution to 1366x768 to achieve. if you leave it at 1080p then subtract around 10 fps and that what you would be getting. you wont be getting good fps in any game on high settings.

Bran187

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
The only games i have that it struggles with are BF3 and Crysis 2. And even then it gets decent fps at higher then console settings.

Yes as a laptop you are going to lose performance, but you gain portability, accessibility ect. It comes down to your lifestyle, budget and priority's.

For the price the y570 will outperform any similarly priced laptop. I think its a great buy. But should you you would rather have desktop and get better performance then more power to you. Once again it comes down to your budget, priorities and lifestyle.

Think long and hard about it. But you will be happy either route you go. Computers rock. :)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.