Solved! What OS would be the fastest for my laptop?

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
I have an Asus K53SC, and there's one thing I'm wondering. What will be faster, Windows 7 or 8.1? Some laptops run better on 10, others on 7... I'm basically looking for fast internet, a decent bootup time & fast starting programs. Windows 10 is not an option (since 1703 there's been a glitch where the nvidia gpu displays programs inproperly). And what will be faster, UEFI or BIOS? By default it's installed Win 7 Home Premium X64 on BIOS.

Intel Core I5-2430m @2.40GHz - @3.00GHz
GeForce GT520MX + Intel HD Graphics 3000
8GB of DDR3 ram
Asus K53SC
750GB 5400rpm hdd
BIOS 221 (latest)

Solution
The OS will not play a significant role in boot times, program startup times, etc. If you want a speed bump, spend a little money during this black Friday and snag a new SSD. Clone your drive to it (you'll need a USB to SATA adapter for this) and swap out the drives. Regardless of the OS, you'll see a huge difference.

To directly address the OS, Windows 10 and 7 would be your best bet. I personally don't like the feel of Windows 8.1. If you want guaranteed compatibility then stick with the Windows 7 currently installed.

Also, your UEFI/BIOS will run at whatever stock settings it came with. UEFI is the newer of the two and is designed to be faster so go with that.

Jwpanz

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
The OS will not play a significant role in boot times, program startup times, etc. If you want a speed bump, spend a little money during this black Friday and snag a new SSD. Clone your drive to it (you'll need a USB to SATA adapter for this) and swap out the drives. Regardless of the OS, you'll see a huge difference.

To directly address the OS, Windows 10 and 7 would be your best bet. I personally don't like the feel of Windows 8.1. If you want guaranteed compatibility then stick with the Windows 7 currently installed.

Also, your UEFI/BIOS will run at whatever stock settings it came with. UEFI is the newer of the two and is designed to be faster so go with that.

Solution

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

Thanks. I will choose 7 because it's got a better UI. May dualboot it with Linux in case I don't need those programs that require Windows.