Question After updating my BIOS, the fans in my laptop stop suddenly and then resume running almost immediately!

Sep 6, 2020
I have an ASUS FX505GT laptop, and since upgrading to the 307 BIOS from the 305 BIOS, I've been experiencing an issue where the fan will be running normally, but then randomly turn off completely before immediately turning back on. This happens at any speed and any temperature, so I don't think there is any correlation. It's happens during performance mode and turbo mode.

Additionally, when turning off the laptop, it gets to the point where the screen turns off and the fan stops, but then the fan fires up to what sounds like 50% and then the laptop properly shuts down. This also happens at start up.

I actually downgraded the BIOS to 305 at one point to check if it was the BIOS, and the fan problem goes away immediately. I cannot keep it on 305 however because for some unknown reason the graphics don't run correctly and all of the games I play normally with no issue are extremely frame rated and unplayable.

So I'm stuck with either keeping the current BIOS (307) with a fan issue, or downgrading the BIOS to 305 and having a dysfunctional graphics issue.

If anyone has any suggestions or fixes I'd be greatly appreciative.

System Information:
  • Windows 10 Home - 64-bit (Build 19041.488)
  • Intel Core i5-9300H @2.40GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • Intel UHD 630; GeForce GTX 1650
  • 476 GB, Micron_2200V_MTFDHBA512TCK (OS is on this)
  • 465 GB, Toshiba MQ01ABD050V

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020
I have now contacted Asus and they suggested the following:

------------------------------------
"Concerning your message about the problems you have with your device, if you want to, you can try the power discharge procedure, by following the steps below:

1. Unplug the charger (power cord) from the PC;

2. Take out the battery from the PC (if the battery is not detachable, do not remove it);

3. Press and hold the Power button for more than 30 seconds;

4. Plug the charger back into the computer, without attaching the battery (if previously was detached);

5. Try to power ON the machine."

--------------------------------------

I did try this but the battery isn't detachable and it hasn't made any difference so far. I've updated Asus and am awaiting a response.

From what I can see on the BIOS itself I can't actually find anything relating to the fans, any suggestions?

frederickalliston

Prominent
Aug 12, 2020
I have an ASUS FX505GT laptop, and since upgrading to the 307 BIOS from the 305 BIOS, I've been experiencing an issue where the fan will be running normally, but then randomly turn off completely before immediately turning back on. This happens at any speed and any temperature, so I don't think there is any correlation. It's happens during performance mode and turbo mode.

Additionally, when turning off the laptop, it gets to the point where the screen turns off and the fan stops, but then the fan fires up to what sounds like 50% and then the laptop properly shuts down. This also happens at start up.

I actually downgraded the BIOS to 305 at one point to check if it was the BIOS, and the fan problem goes away immediately. I cannot keep it on 305 however because for some unknown reason the graphics don't run correctly and all of the games I play normally with no issue are extremely frame rated and unplayable.

So I'm stuck with either keeping the current BIOS (307) with a fan issue, or downgrading the BIOS to 305 and having a dysfunctional graphics issue.

If anyone has any suggestions or fixes I'd be greatly appreciative.

System Information:
  • Windows 10 Home - 64-bit (Build 19041.488)
  • Intel Core i5-9300H @2.40GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • Intel UHD 630; GeForce GTX 1650
  • 476 GB, Micron_2200V_MTFDHBA512TCK (OS is on this)
  • 465 GB, Toshiba MQ01ABD050V

To solve this problem, you must clear the CMOS
Clearing CMOS memory can solve BIOS corruption but makes you lose all custom settings in BIOS. You must also reset the date and time in the BIOS setup after clearing the CMOS. Turn off all devices connected to the computer. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

• Remove the computer cover.
  • Move the configuration jumper from pins 1 - 2 to pins 2 - 3.
  • Plug in the power supply and turn on the computer.
  • The computer should automatically start up in the BIOS Set up maintenance mode.
  • Press F9 to restore the Factory BIOS default values.
  • Press F10 to save and exit the BIOS.
  • Turn off the computer and unplug the power supply.
  • Move the configuration jumper to pins 1 - 2.
  • Replace the computer cover.
  • Reconnect the power supply and turn on the computer.

Sep 6, 2020
Hi, thanks for the idea!

I've taken off the back of the laptop and followed a tutorial on Youtube on how to reset the CMOS for the Asus Tuf FX505GT. I managed to unplug the battery and remove the CMOS battery, and then waited for a good 40 seconds before putting everything back in. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem with the fan.

I'm not sure what the pins or the configuration jumper is that you referred to? I wasn't sure if that was maybe something specific to a desktop PC rather than a laptop?