Lenovo X1 Carbon vs. Macbook Pro 13 vs. Surfacebook 2

summer_3

Prominent
May 11, 2017
Hi fellas.
Couldn't decide which laptop to get for university, going into Biomed, I do some light-weight programming on the side. Not planing to game on these laptops. A lot of web browsing and video watching. Just hoping to get some input/ recommendations from people who had experience with these machines.
(all of them are i5, 256 gb and 8 gb RAM)

Lenovo X1 Carbon 6th gen - $1811:
3-year warranty including accidental damage
Pros: HDR WQDH screen 2560 x 1440 with 100% aRGB accuracy.
Cons: possible heating issue?

Macbook Pro 13 inch $1952:
3-year applecare without coverage for accidental damage
Pros: love the touchpad, speakers, and keyboard
Cons: no accidental coverage option/ faulty keys

SurfaceBook 2 $1777: ( the base model without the discrete graphics card)
2-year warranty without accidental damage
Pros: 2 in 1, touchscreen
Cons: screen doesn't close all the way kind of concerning in a backpack/ hinge may not last that long?

* the prices includes the warranty plan/ before taxes
* the cons are just some people's reviews i don't know if they are true or not

I don't really care about the OS, my biggest concern is the durability of these, hoping to last me all 4 years (at least 3) of university.

Solution
The hinge on the Surface Book is a hinge like on any other laptop. Since the tablet and keyboard are made of metal alloys they're very unlikely to bend. What I mean is, if you bend a Surface Book in a backpack you're as likely to break any other laptop. If you're really paranoid, just detach the keyboard in the backpack?
If video is your main use for these, I'd probably go for the Lenovo. (Even though I despise Lenovo after their recent fake marketing campaign for their latest smartphone). The wider aspect ratio obviously work better for media and "HDR" is nice, even though 500 nits worth of HDR isn't near the recommended 1,000 nits for real HDR.
Apple seems to be phasing out their Intel-based devices. It seems like they'll go all in on...

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
The hinge on the Surface Book is a hinge like on any other laptop. Since the tablet and keyboard are made of metal alloys they're very unlikely to bend. What I mean is, if you bend a Surface Book in a backpack you're as likely to break any other laptop. If you're really paranoid, just detach the keyboard in the backpack?
If video is your main use for these, I'd probably go for the Lenovo. (Even though I despise Lenovo after their recent fake marketing campaign for their latest smartphone). The wider aspect ratio obviously work better for media and "HDR" is nice, even though 500 nits worth of HDR isn't near the recommended 1,000 nits for real HDR.
Apple seems to be phasing out their Intel-based devices. It seems like they'll go all in on iPad Pro based stuff in the future. So, that's maybe not a wise long term solution.

Solution