Lenovo x260 and gaming

h_absi

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
I am planning to buy Lenovo x260. It has Intel HD Graphics 520. I am wondering if I get the more expensive choices, will it improve my gaming experience. I occasionally play Blizzard games (WOW, Diablo and Starcraft). The CPU and RAM options as follow: CPUs ( i5-6200, i5-6300 or i7-6600) .RAM (16GB DDR4-2133MHz SODIMM or 8GB DDR4-2133 SODIMM)

Solution
Click the following link to see some game benchmarks of the Intel HD 520. The specific games you mentioned have been benchmarked. However, keep in mind that expansions can cause lower performance results.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-520.149940.0.html

Intel graphics is decent a enough solution to play graphically non-demanding games. I tweaked Fallout 3 and Skyrim to run on a friend's laptop with the Intel HD 4400 graphics (Haswell generation) core. It plays those games decently well at 1600x900 resolution.

I tried playing Fallout 4 on my laptop using only the Intel HD 4400 graphics core instead of the dedicated GPU and it would always crash so I recommended to my friend not to purchase that game unless he buys a...
Click the following link to see some game benchmarks of the Intel HD 520. The specific games you mentioned have been benchmarked. However, keep in mind that expansions can cause lower performance results.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-520.149940.0.html

Intel graphics is decent a enough solution to play graphically non-demanding games. I tweaked Fallout 3 and Skyrim to run on a friend's laptop with the Intel HD 4400 graphics (Haswell generation) core. It plays those games decently well at 1600x900 resolution.

I tried playing Fallout 4 on my laptop using only the Intel HD 4400 graphics core instead of the dedicated GPU and it would always crash so I recommended to my friend not to purchase that game unless he buys a new laptop with a dedicated GPU.

Solution

What is your primary goal of the laptop? For gaming, no, bad idea.

For a good portable laptop to do work on it's a good system. But there are a ton of laptops that are better in games, the X260 is not a cheap system. If you are talking about systems in the 12.5" range, Asus Zenbook is pretty decent and will be OK in games at lower settings, and older games at Medium or even higher depending on the game.