Lenovo Y40 i7-4510u vs. i7-5500u

MatrixBetaTester

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
Hi I am looking at getting a Lenovo Y40 for school, light gaming, coding and light photo / video editing.

I am going to be going to Uni next year for Engineering or Computer Science. I thought this would be a nice balance between portability and power and if I ever needed more I have a quite good i5-3570k desktop that will do the trick quite nicely.

I'm just wondering whether it's worth the extra $180 CAD right now for the new i7-5500u in the Y40-80 vs. the i7-4510u in the Y40-70, is the performance difference enough to be worth the price? Do you think this is a good laptop for my needs?

Thanks

MatrixBetaTester

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
Alright yes I was thinking that too. Unfortunately there aren't any benchmarks really yet. Will I notice much of a performance difference at all? Also, is there any significant difference between the HHD and hybrid drive? I know they're both not awesome -- I have an SSD in my desktop, but I might as well get the hybrid for 20 bucks?

Edit: Oops I didn't mean to make it solved. My finger hit the button by accident :oops:

epson661

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
From what I seen the SSHD don't really make a difference in terms of a real life situation compared to the benchmark it shows. If you have the money you could go for it unless your planning to swap out the HD in the future for an SSD.

I was also looking at this laptop for the same purposes as you however in the UK its way overpriced compared to the US.