Lenovo Y50-70 slow boot despite SSD

YetiteY

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Hello All,
I recently bought the Y50-70 (i5, 8 GB RAM).
I installed my the Samsung SSD, which I used in my old laptop.

I performed a clean install, and optimized the SSD with the samsung software.

However, the boot up speed is very disappointing, sometimes up to 45s.

On my previous laptop (much less powerful, and with only a SATA 2 connection) the boot speed was around 25s.

I have disabled startup programs, disables Win10 Quick start, tried to change the hibernation settings; all to no avail.

Has anyone had a similar problem or knows of any solutions? I am running out of ideas, and cant believe that a new laptop with an ssd takes more than 30s to boot up.

Cmlalibe

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014
It's probably the Samsung software that still includes bloat ware. In my y510p with a clean windows 8.1 from my university it took around 13 secoonds. That has since gone up a little. Also, if you have two hard drives (as do I) make sure it was installed on the ssd.

YetiteY

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

Thanks for your reply!

I did a complete clean install, without optimization with the Samsung Magician software.

Still, the slow boot problem persists.

The main thing that confuses me, is that the same ssd worked much better with my old laptop, which as mentioned was much less powerful.

What could the cause of this problem be?

Cmlalibe

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014
Yeah that does. Your SSD is running fine but the instal was bad. The red "1307649 K-bad" means your ssd is missaligned. Google "1-k BAD AS SSD" and youll see half a dozen post with your issue.
Basically my mguess is that the instal didnt partion correctly on your SSD and thats whats slowing it down.

Cmlalibe

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014
Hmm, well I'm glad to hear it helped, but sorry that it didn't fix it. I understand your frustration as it should be quicker. Did your old laptop run the same samsung software?

YetiteY

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Yes, I cloned and then optimized the SSD in my old laptop with Samsung software. I had warnings that it could not be used at its highest performance as the laptop only had SATA II connections. This is why the boot time was around 25s, and why I was expecting this (new) one to run so much faster.

I did the same with my new laptop, once with and once without the Samsung software (For optimization).

As previously mentioned, it was also a complete clean install, so there was no bloatware etc.

YetiteY

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Today I did a Benchmark test with the Samsung Magician Optimization Tool.

One thing that struck me, was that apparantly the AHCI Mode is not activated for the SSD.

I tried to activate it by accessing the value through regedit, however it was already set on "0". A reboot also did not fix this issue, and the samsung software still says that ahci mode is not enabled.