Lenovo Y50 green screen with appearing and disappearing red vertical lines

True Slav

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Hello. First time on the forum. I need help.

I have had my Lenovo Y50 laptop for about 4 or 5 months now. Got it from Best Buy for a discount price (Lenovo had organized a discount for a lot of its products at the time, the Y50 was 40% off). Everything has been working alright. Well, before the Windows 10 update. That made the laptop a bit less reliable and sort of messed with the HDD a bit, but it ultimately functioned.

About two weeks ago, I began noticing serious issues. The HDD would randomly reboot itself while I was using the laptop, so you could hear it spinning down and spinning up multiple times a day. Even CrystalDiskInfo confirmed my concern, as the start/stop count would rise very quickly, especially during gaming. I figured the HDD was on its way out, and that I'd use it for as long as it would last, but a week later, something even worse happened.

So I buy Arma 3, since I'm finally able to run it at a stable framerate with good settings (it's the 960m 2GB variant), and decide to switch it on. All my games always gave me the lowest resolution for no reason, so I thought nothing of it when it booted in 800x600. However, then the screen went mad. Just a totally green tint to everything bright, and a red tone to everything dark. I panicked, tried to shut it down, but it was frozen. So I had no choice but to hold the power button for a few seconds to force it off. When it turned off, it emitted a loud pop. Thought that was the end of it, but it booted up fine. The Lenovo logo had a green tint too, and so did everything, so it isn't the operating system for sure.

I did a factory reset, just to see if it worked, and it didn't. Now the red lines aren't permanent, but they come and go periodically. It's the Lenovo Y50 touch, if that's important. Drivers are up to date. Laptop runs well. Screen is constantly messed up though, making it unusable.

I read that it could be a dead graphics chip. Seems like the most reasonable and likely cause. I would test it with an external monitor, but I don't have one.

The laptop has a 1 year manufacturer warranty, not sure if it's international. I'm not in the States, but got it from there (from Best Buy, as I've mentioned before). If it isn't international, I'll send it to the U.S. for repairs and have my relatives send it to me.

I plan on getting an MSI Apache Pro for monthly payments. To help me do so, I'll attempt to sell this laptop, preferably after they fix or replace it. Maybe they'll even refund me the $1,000. Would make the MSI situation that much easier, as it is about $80 per month.

I just wanted to ask if you might know what happened? I'd look at cable connection, but I don't want to void the warranty if there is one. I opened the laptop once to clean the air vents, nothing more though. It's a real shame. The Y50 is a great laptop that I'd recommend to anyone, and I don't get what happened, and why it happened this soon?

If you also might know what was going on with my HDD, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks!

Solution
ALWAYS USE THE WARRANTY ... that is WHY you pay for it.

If it was out of warranty I would be worried as it sounds like the mobo chipset is playing up - weird intermittent stuff.

It doesn't just point to the HDD, or the OS, or the GPU ...

Sorry for capitalising that first sentence but i want everyone to use it where possible.

It costs nothing to try.

Document all of the issues in your email to them ... print the stickers and post the thing off. Make sure you package it exactly as they ask ... foam etc ... so there is no comeback on transit damage.

You might basically get the whole thing replaced !!

:)

True Slav

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016

I have two sticks of RAM, yes. I've got two 4GB sticks, as far as I know. Not 100% sure, but I think that's it. I'd do it, but I'm not sure if it voids warranty or not. They make the stickers invisible, unfortunately.

Also, any idea what could be causing the weird HDD restarts? I thought a faulty PSU might do the trick, but I don't really know. While playing BFBC2 one evening (I played for about an hour while in a Skype call), the HDD rebooted itself over 20 times. Silently this time. Some days it never happens. Other days it happens upwards of 30 times!

So potentially bad RAM, Graphics chip, and HDD as well? Quite a defective piece of hardware. Guess I got unlucky.

True Slav

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016

Yes. I will call Lenovo support in my country. See if I have an international warranty or not. If not, I'll send it back to the States.

Thanks for the support, really appreciate it. I might try the RAM thing tomorrow. If that's the problem, I'll still turn it in, because of the faulty hard drive. Also, sorry for another question, but which MSI laptop would you personally recommend? I need power for gaming, video editing, simulations, etc.. But I also need it to be reliable and sturdy. I can't have it break in 5 months like this one. I think an MSI GE72 6QF would do it for me, but if you know a better model for a similar price, I'd really highly appreciate the advice.

ALWAYS USE THE WARRANTY ... that is WHY you pay for it.

If it was out of warranty I would be worried as it sounds like the mobo chipset is playing up - weird intermittent stuff.

It doesn't just point to the HDD, or the OS, or the GPU ...

Sorry for capitalising that first sentence but i want everyone to use it where possible.

It costs nothing to try.

Document all of the issues in your email to them ... print the stickers and post the thing off. Make sure you package it exactly as they ask ... foam etc ... so there is no comeback on transit damage.

You might basically get the whole thing replaced !!

:)

Solution

True Slav

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Thanks for the advice! Yes, I'm documenting everything that has seemed defective. From the weird HDD, to the odd DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION thing, and even the fatal error that finished off my good old laptop!

I'm currently looking into international warranty service. Since I bought it in the US and I live in the Czech republic, there could be some aggravating discussions over the phone, but I'll try to get them to replace it in my country, if possible. If not, I'll just have to pay a little extra for shipping.

If you don't mind me asking, what is a mobo chipset? I believe I know a thing or two about computers, but only in terms of performance, being a person with lots of extra time on my hands to waste on gaming.

This is the first time I've ever had to use my warranty. And I've had lots of computers in my life. Oddly enough, the most expensive was the most defective of them all! I wonder if there's a correlation between price and risk.