Lenovo y50 overheating

Techmancer

Estimable
Jun 11, 2015
I got a lenovo y50 laptop for Christmas last year. It was working perfectly until about 3-4 weeks ago when it suddenly started getting really hot as I was playing the same games I had been since I got it. Speccy gave me motherboard temperatures of around 70 degrees celsius, with cpu and gpu temperatures averaging about 70 degrees celsius as well. To save you some time if you use fahrenheit, that's about 150 degrees fahrenheit. The games I were playing were FTL, Mount and Blade: Warband, and Borderlands 2. I have an i5 with a factory setting of 2.8 GHz, a GTX 860m with 2 gigs vram, and 8 gigs ram. After a visual inspection the vents for the fan are clear from dust and the back of the laptop is propped up on a cd case to promote airflow. However, I can barely feel air movement with my hand within an inch of the vents.

Techmancer

Estimable
Jun 11, 2015
There's a reflective coating on the mesh that covers the fan exit port, so I can't see the fan. The noise does get harder when I'm playing games, so I'm pretty sure its the fan I'm hearing. And I was recently able to feel more air coming off the fan, so I know it's working.