Lenovo y50 vs ASUS ROG GL552JX

akshaynba

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015
Dear friends,
I need to buy a laptop for industrial design training and average gaming (not necessary to run smooth on ultra). To run 3D modelling softwares I think a better graphic card would help while for illustration screen quality would also matter.
It should be equipped well enough to not get 'outdated' in at least coming 4 years. The best available in my country under 80,000 seem to be:
ASUS GL552:
http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/tech-news-technology/asus-rog-gl552-launched-for-rs-70999/

Lenovo Y50:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50-uhd/#tab-tech_specs

Lenovo seems to have the better graphic card but its screen has been criticised in many reviews.
Which of these is better and more 'future proof' build-wise and hardware-wise?

Solution
I own a lenovo Y50 and I'm a fan. The screen doesn't get super bright but I've never had any complaints about reliability / color accuracy /ghosting etc. I am using the non-touch model, however.

Make sure that your design school actually has you run the program on your own computer. At my school all CAD/CAM is either run on university owned computers or through a custom server/VPN/streaming setup, so the actual computing is done by the school's server and not my computer.

Future proofing is hard, I'm actually on here to research upgrading my HDD to an SSD, so it might be convenient to look at which laptop offers the most post-sale upgrade options, and which one will let you mess around the inside without voiding the warranty. For...

budder

Estimable
May 4, 2014
I own a lenovo Y50 and I'm a fan. The screen doesn't get super bright but I've never had any complaints about reliability / color accuracy /ghosting etc. I am using the non-touch model, however.

Make sure that your design school actually has you run the program on your own computer. At my school all CAD/CAM is either run on university owned computers or through a custom server/VPN/streaming setup, so the actual computing is done by the school's server and not my computer.

Future proofing is hard, I'm actually on here to research upgrading my HDD to an SSD, so it might be convenient to look at which laptop offers the most post-sale upgrade options, and which one will let you mess around the inside without voiding the warranty. For example I know the Y50 won't let you exchange the graphics card.

Solution