Lenovo Y50: Worth to buy the extended warranty?

Cooljoe64

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
Hello,

I currently own a Lenovo Y50 2014 edition. I bought this PC refurbished from the Lenovo Outlet in the Summer of 2015.

This is the most expensive computer I ever bought and I plan to keep it. Currently Lenovo offers a 3yr extended warranty for 100 dollars. Being employed this summer, I can easily save up for it.

I want to know if theirs any Y50 owners who've extended their warranty or laptop users who extended their warranty to know if they have ever needed. What I don't want to happen is the motherboard or something to die a week after the warranty expires.

So would it be worth to pay for the extended warranty?

Thank you

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Honestly, it might not be a bad idea. Laptops are pretty much impossible to fix or repair yourself economically.

They are also extremely difficult to work on.

Really it depends on the terms of the warranty and who it is through.

Cooljoe64

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
Its through Lenovo directly. Three of my friends have the same laptop. Two of them had to mail it in to warranty and had good experiences. I'll be mail mine in due to a defective screen. The 3yrs are the same as my current 1 yr warranty. I'll be graduating in 2017 and would like my laptop to work beyond that. So I suppose it is worth it then?

ffg7

Splendid
had a customer buy a laptop in the spring of 2011 & the hard drive crap out a couple months later. because she did not buy the extended warranty as she only had store's 30 day warranty she had to buy a new hard drive for me to load windows back on. the old hard drive was made in December 2010.

Greetings, Cooljoe:

I would definitely get the extended warranty. Your machine is a refurbished model from 2014, and I suspect the $100 is bound to pay off within the next 12 months or so. It's not a jibe at Lenovo - that's just how most laptops are designed these days.

This is not a guarantee against technical issues, but at least any issues will be remedied smoothly allowing you to use the Y50 for many years ahead.

I have a Y50 from April 2015 with 180 days left on the warranty. It's a great machine and I have had no problems of any kind yet, but truth be told, six months from now, I'll probably move on to a ThinkPad rather than upgrading/extending my warranty.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Cooljoe64

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

True a peace of mind would be best. Thank you for the answer. I am worried something may happen to the machine. I find it common the laptop has a tendency to die right after the warranty.

Thank you

TRENDING THREADS