Lenovo y500 auto turning on with black screen and loud fan

shaunzzzy

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hello, my Lenovo y500 laptop has not been working properly after normal shutdown (with fast boot on win8.1 enabled). After plugging AC adapter, laptop turned on by itself (I didn't press power button) but nothing appears on the screen - I hear quite loud fan from inside. So the screen is black, it doesn't even show 'Lenovo' logo. What's more, I can't even turn the laptop off by hitting power button! I can only do that by unplugging AC... Did someone experience such things?

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

shaunzzzy

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
I tried this, however the "cycle" stays same - auto turned laptop, black screen and loud fan. I'm thinking whether it's some kind of problem of UEFI/BIOS - I would like to fix/recover/reset BIOS, however I don't know the safest way to do it. The warranty expired so I can't send laptop to service.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
botasky Laptop Tech Support 1
leonhk Laptop Tech Support 4
G Laptop Tech Support 7
H Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 7
U Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 4
V Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1