Lenovo Y500 connect Three or four Monitors

ChrisTheDBA

Estimable
Jan 17, 2016
How do I configure my Y500 to run three or four monitors. I can run the laptop display and one external monitor. When I attempt to add a second external monitor the nvidia control panel complains that only two displays can run simultaneously. I have two GPUs and have disabled SLI but I can't get any display to use the second GPU. They all indicate they are running against GPU #1.

Solution
Unless you need really fast response on all monitors (and it IS marketed as a gaming laptop), I would recommend that you try a USB 3.0 to digital graphics (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, whatever is available) adapter. This works fine for me at work, but I'm not doing anything that requires rapid response as gaming would.

If you need gaming-class response, there are devices that will make two (or three, I hope, you would need three) HDMI screens look to your machine as one three-times-as-wide HDMI screen. This is NOT an HDMI splitter, which will simply present the same image to multiple HDMI screens. Also, your graphics would have to support a wacky triple-wide resolution.

Which path do you need to go down?
Hi,

Based from the specification of your laptop you can connect 2 external monitors into it via VGA and HDMI cable.
- Do connect both monitor into your laptop then press the Windows key + P at the same time and select between Duplicate or Extended Display.
- If these will not work do try to uninstall/reinstall the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics card driver.
- Do the same in Programs and Features, uninstall anything related to the graphics card.
- Download and install the latest graphics driver from the manufacturers site.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed reboot your laptop then test it again with the 2 monitors.

ChrisTheDBA

Estimable
Jan 17, 2016

Thanks I got the general idea. However when I actually connect the monitors. They all display connected to GPU #1 and then the Nvidia control panel doesn't allow moving the display to the second GPU.

Unless you need really fast response on all monitors (and it IS marketed as a gaming laptop), I would recommend that you try a USB 3.0 to digital graphics (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, whatever is available) adapter. This works fine for me at work, but I'm not doing anything that requires rapid response as gaming would.

If you need gaming-class response, there are devices that will make two (or three, I hope, you would need three) HDMI screens look to your machine as one three-times-as-wide HDMI screen. This is NOT an HDMI splitter, which will simply present the same image to multiple HDMI screens. Also, your graphics would have to support a wacky triple-wide resolution.

Which path do you need to go down?

Solution