Lenovo Y500 sparks inside & stops working

arby182

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
My Lenovo Y500 laptop is less than 6 months old. After it remained idle for 1 month when I powered the laptop there was initial flickering without any display. I had to shut it off as it had stopped working by pressing the power button. The next time I powered the laptop I heard a loud noise of spark from within and the screen became blank and the laptop stopped working. I had to press the start button to power off the laptop. Thereafter, the laptop starts when the power button is pressed but after a while I hear a loud sound of spark and the laptop stops working. Please help. If the problem is major would you recommend that I take the matter up with Lenovo, USA ?

ratedk

Distinguished
From what I can find, it looks like your screen is one of the older CCFL backlight types. This kind of screen uses an inverter to power the backlight bulb. It sounds like there is a short, or something making an electrical connection where it shouldn't.

Your probably not under warranty anymore, so if your not afraid of a little DIY, replacing the inverter (or maybe just eliminating the short with some electrical tape) would be an inexpensive fix. A local repair shop could make quick work of it - and could possibly have an inverter in stock. eBay is a good source for finding a replacement (usually $10-$25). What ever you do, don't take it to Best Buy - they'll just over quote it and tell you to buy a new one. :)

I even found a how to for your model:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3LMifHb_eo

The inverter will be a small circuit board that is located directly below the screen with different wires coming from each end. One end will be power from the Motherboard (it splits off from the video cable) The video cable could be pinched as well. You may see some burnt blackness as a result of the spark - if your lucky you'll be able to see the point of failure. The other end will be two different colored wires that run to the corner of the screen.

If your lucky enough to see the point of failure, each part should be labeled with some identifying part number which will allow you to find a replacement. If there is no visible point of failure, assume it is the inverter, as it is the cheapest part to replace (again a local computer repair shop should be able to test this).

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, by all means, support a local business :) If it were in my shop, it would be $40-$50 + part.