Lenovo Y500 Ultrabay + trackpad Questions

Hunter96x

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
A few weeks ago I created a thread here about the Y580 and received plenty of helpful information.

I had the money ready to make the purchase but learned that the Y500 itself was released and because I wanted to have the laptop for several years I decided to rethink purchasing the Y580 and instead going after the Y500. I have a few questions though, so if you can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

First off, I am interested in gaming and I am not familiar with how lenovo's ultrabay works. All my years of using a computer I have always had a optical drive so I can watch movies and play games that were on disc. Will the ultrabay still be able to do this? I searched many reviews on YouTube and online and under the specs most listed 'no optical drive' which would b a problem because I need an optical drive also to download software from discs. I can't imagine using a laptop without being able to use discs but hopefully this isn't the case and you clear this up for me.

Also by reading reviews I noticed the trackpad had some issues but was fixable if you turned gestures off or got a newer version or even if you didn't get a new version from lenovo they would come to your house and fix it for you I heard.

Hope you guys can clear me up with these questions as I am eager to make a purchase as soon as Friday after 6+ months of searching.

This is the laptop with the specs that I have been looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312439&Tpk=59359557&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=5575512&SID=skim23774X825978Xcfc87f55d5be30ce9d2884dfad6521a9

Venzen007

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Think of the ultrabay as a slot you can put an extra goodie, like an optical drive or a second graphics card for SLI (this is why those configurations you mention list "no optical drive" because that spot is being occupied by a second graphics card).

In other words, you can get a Y500 with an optical drive, no problem, and still have your GT 650M graphics card (just not two of them).

The Y500 is still having touchpad issues. They are aware of the problem, and there are some work-around videos on youtube, forums, etc., on how to fix it. There is a question, though, whether what you have to do yourself to fix it might void the warranty. So, best let them fix it (which takes sending it back, waiting for them to fix it, hoping it's fixed when you get it back, and so no).

According to the product manager at Lenovo, they have approx. 500 Y500 packed up and ready for shipping that may have this issue (they have no way of knowing which ones without unpacking and retesting them all, which they are apparently not willing to do). They offer free return and money back within 21 days, though, for the time being as a result, and I was even offered a free wireless mouse to use if my touchpad didn't work. (I didn't buy it; I went with the Y580).

Good looking computer, though. Too bad about that issue.

Hunter96x

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Thanks for the reply! I understand the ultrabay idea a bit better now. Thanks for explaining. So would I have to purchase an optical drive separately? I have seen some places price 1K - 1.1K $ with the specs I like but just wanted to make sure what the deal is with the optical drive option.

Yeah the touchpad definitely could be a price that I would have to pay for this laptop... Honestly I have seen some reviews where people are saying it isn't the end of the world deal breaker for the laptop and can be lived with/fixed although like you said could void warranty and others saying that they can't live with it and needing to send it back.

Like you said, good looking laptop in my opinion too... Which is why it caught my eye but I can see why you chose the y580 too which would be my alternative option

Thanks.

Venzen007

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
The Y500 I priced today was right at 998.50, with a 3 year warranty (including accident damage protection). It had the i7-3630QM, 8GB, 1TB (5400) +16GB SSD, GT 650M graphics, Dvd optical drive, Full HD (1080) screen, 720 hd integrated camera, etc. That build was straight from the Lenovo website and purchasable there.

I spent $100 more for the Y580 and got exactly the same thing (with an slightly upgraded graphics card in the GTX 660M and a BluRay optical drive) but I lost the 16GB SSD. (But I read I can add that later, if I choose).

Check out the Y580 review on youtube; sort by views; it's about 15 mins. Good overview and good looks at it. White light instead of red for keyboard.