Lenovo Y580 - HDMI output to TV is not working.

rwmichael

Estimable
Jan 5, 2015
I have a Lenovo ideapad Y580 laptop that, due to my carelessness, had the original Windows installation wiped. I have reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 8 on the laptop and went through and installed the drivers on the Lenovo website. When I plug in an HDMI cable that is plugged into my TV, nothing happens. I cannot project to a second screen. When I use a VGA cable instead, everything works fine, but I really need the HDMI to work. I'm not sure if this is the root of the problem but I've tried reinstalling the video drivers (Intel HD graphics 4000, and Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M) multiple times but that didn't work. I have also tried plugging in the HDMI while on the BIOS setup. I have also tried using the drivers from Nvidia's website but that didn't work either. My last attempt was to disable the Nvidia card in the BIOS, this didn't change anything either. Hopefully I've provided enough information, thanks for any help you can offer.

This is where I got the laptop drivers: http://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops/ideapad-y580?c=1[1]

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Most lenovos have a display selector button, usually above one of the function keys such that you have to press the Fn key, and the respective function button (F1-F12) to activate it, and it should bring up a little display selector menu where you can switch the video output from the screen, to VGA, HDMI, etc, depending on what all options is available on your laptop. Although I've ran into situations where, after reinstalling the OS on a lenovo laptop, I had to download the little driver/software app that manages these function buttons.

Does your laptop have little icons above the function keys? For example there should be a little wireless tower looking icon for turning wireless on/off, brightness +/-, volume +/-, etc. The display one I mentioned will either look like a square monitor icon or a little projector icon.

rwmichael

Estimable
Jan 5, 2015

Yes I found the key, however, it functions the same as Windows-P. I can select from PC screen only, Duplicate, Extend, and Second Screen Only. Selecting the other options respond the way I would expect if it was plugged into the tv. But, the tv still says no signal. When I choose, for example, Extend, nothing changes and when I go to the screen resolution window, it says there is another screen connected via VGA even though nothing is in the VGA port and the HDMI cable is plugged in.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
When you install nvidia driver/software, can you go into nvidia display settings and look for somewhere to possibly change the display from 'Monitor' to 'HDMI'? Or something called "Monitor/TV settings", something like that maybe

rwmichael

Estimable
Jan 5, 2015
The only thing in the Nvidia Control Panel is a section called "3D Settings" which doesn't have anything. There is an option for multiple displays in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, but the only option is the Built-In Display, even when HDMI is plugged in.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
If you go to control panel > display > adjust resolution, can you change display in there? Or try the detect button from that screen and see if it'll detect the HDMI (obviously make sure the HDMI is connected to your TV before trying this)