Lenovo Y580 or Asus N56VZ?

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
First I'll run through a few of the 'checklist' items in the stickied thread, omitting the ones that are moot for this purpose (price, size, etc. that are similar between the 2).

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Mostly desktop replacement, but it has to be able to travel for 1-2 weeks at a time, 3-4 times per year (where it will be taken from hotel to work location and back every day).
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? Yes; I am logged into Second Life pretty frequently but I'd also like to be able to play BF3 (on low is fine) every once in a while when out of town.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Word, Excel, light photo editing, quickbooks, web surfing, etc.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 4-5 years would be ideal.
13. What country do you live in? USA
14. Additional info: Robust build/quality is an absolute must

Now the specs I'd like:

Lenovo Y580
Intel i7 3610QM (2.6GHz 6MB)
Windows 7 64-bit
GTX660M 2GB
FHD LED 1920x1080 (15.6")
8GB DDR3 RAM

Asus N56VZ
Intel i7 3610QM
Windows 7 64-bit
GT650M 2GB
FHD 1920x1080 (16")
8GB DDR3 RAM

Is there a better option of the two? I have no preference for glossy vs. matte screen, and would likely swap an SSD into either unit somewhat soon after getting it (for quicker boot times and lower temps). I'm leaning Lenovo right now, but open to suggestions and fact points that I may have missed if you guys see anything that stands out between the two really.

Thanks!

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Y580 is around what I am looking at but from my research it does seem to lack in terms of build quality, which is why I steered away from it. I am not saying that it is, but the indication from surfing through this forum, anandtech's forum, and notebookreview's forum all indicate that the ideapad may suffer in build to get the incredible price point.