Lenovo Yoga vs Dell Inspiron 2 in 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I'm wondering if the Lenovo Yoga 720, as seen here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-720-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-platinum-silver/5722715.p?skuId=5722715

Is worth the higher cost when compared to this Dell Inspiron 2 in 1: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-silver/5822970.p?skuId=5822970&ref=P30T29R169&loc=BODY&CampaignID=857792&eut=2876336469&track=recClick&eapi=true&ep=rc-mb%2Cdr-abcat0502000%2Cav-4.3%2Cmv-0.1%2Cds-mb%2Crk-2

They mention the $100 off for students which I do have a discount coupon for. I'm selling my old laptop for $250 and putting that towards a new laptop for college. I'm interested in portability, the 2 in 1 form factor, exceptional battery life, and maybe windows ink if I can find an affordable smart stylus.

Is the Lenovo worth the extra premium?

Solution
1920x1080 is also referred to as 2K, 1920 being roughly 2000. Similarly, 3840x2160 is usually referred to as 4K (3840 being roughly 4000). There are, of course, several combinations in between, but 2K is still the most prevalent (and popular) resolution grade. 4K is typically used with 27" screen sizes and larger.

If there's a BestBuy in your neighbourhood, I warmly recommend that you go and try out as many laptops as possible. You'll get a far better idea about things like display and weight.

Well, it's been quite a while since I last saw 2 laptops that were this similar. After extensive scrutiny, this is what I've found:

1. The Dell used to be $830 but has been discounted by $100. This means they both cost the same - only the Dell is slower to move off the shelves.

2. The Dell is slightly heavier, at 3.64lbs, compared with the Yoga's 2.87. This may not sound like much on paper, but with your college life in mind, it could mean the difference between carrying a laptop and lugging a laptop.

3. Battery life is only available for the Yoga, at 8 hours. This is definitely below segment average - and the Dell isn't likely to last any longer, either. But that's the price you pay for a powerful CPU and a good 2K display.

4. Finally, as far as I know, Lenovos are the only mainstream laptops to feature a physical recovery button (the Novo button). This allows you to factory reset your Lenovo independent of Windows and it could mean the difference between (a) losing your files but getting a factory-fresh laptop, and (b) losing your files and having to send the laptop to a Dell-certified repair shop, most likely at some cost since factory resets are typically not covered by warranty.

My verdict is 60 to 40 in favour of the Yoga.

Claymoresama

Honorable
May 3, 2013

Thank you for all of that. I was wondering why you mentioned a 2k display? Both laptops I linked have 13.3 inch 1920x1080 displays. I considered the weight and I think after checking out both in stores I'll make my decision on whether or not the weight matters that much. The Dell is about a lb and a half less than my previous Dell laptop. I'm wondering just how well the battery life fares on the dell. If its heavier, but has better battery life then it'd be worth it.

So the laptops are normally about the same price? Hmmm. I am intersted in the Lenovo as I've always been a fan of the Yoga design. I hope my local best buy has both in stock and on display so I can try them both out.

1920x1080 is also referred to as 2K, 1920 being roughly 2000. Similarly, 3840x2160 is usually referred to as 4K (3840 being roughly 4000). There are, of course, several combinations in between, but 2K is still the most prevalent (and popular) resolution grade. 4K is typically used with 27" screen sizes and larger.

If there's a BestBuy in your neighbourhood, I warmly recommend that you go and try out as many laptops as possible. You'll get a far better idea about things like display and weight.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS