Lenovo Z500 laptop taking forever to start

ianjebbett44

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Hi, I hope someone can help.
I bought my Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 in Oct 2013 pre-loaded with Win 8, which I upgraded to 8.1 and then Win 10, all without problem.
It is used in a clean atmosphere and treated with care and has worked flawlessly until a couple of weeks ago.
The problem is that it is taking progressively longer to reach the Lenovo Splash screen - at the moment up to 25 minutes, with perhaps a power down/power up during that time to let it cool down a bit.
It is happening during boot up, so don't think Windows is involved.
When the power button is first depressed, the hard drive sounds as though it is working and then all that can be heard is the drive spinning, no activity - and there is no fan noise.
Over the next few minutes, the base of the case gets very hot under where the 'Z' to 'M' key row is. When eventually the Lenovo splash screen appears, it quickly changes to the Win sign in screen and then loads Windows as quickly as it always has, in seconds.
I thought it might have been a loose or dry joint expanding under heat to make contact, but powering down and then powering up results in the same delay. It also happens whether using battery or mains. I'm just worried that it will refuse to start one day, although I have backups.
Thanks,
Ian.

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to make sure that you have the latest BIOS version installed. The current BIOS version in Lenovo's support site is 1.21, check your BIOS if you have the latest one because if not download and install it.
- Here's the link: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/71cn51ww.exe
- After installing the latest BIOS do observe if the issue has been solved or not.
- But if you have the latest BIOS version do test the HDD.
- If you have a spare HDD lying around use it with your laptop. Install Windows 10 in that other HDD and see if the same problem will persist or not.

Here's how to create a bootable Windows 10 USB or disc:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2745957/create-windows-installation-usb-drive-dvd.html

Here's also a guide to install Windows 10:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569562/install-windows.html

- If using a different HDD will work that means the problem is the old HDD in your laptop.

ianjebbett44

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

Hi, Thank you for your reply.
I'll do as you suggest and see what happens.
It took 20 minutes to start today and when the fan started running, the air coming out of the side vent was hotter than my wife's hair dryer!
Cheers,
Ian.

ip_1_me

Commendable
May 23, 2016

hello ian,

please, keep us updated about the solution. I have exactly the same problem with the same model and windows . Could someone give us a tip? Almost all the times is impossible to boot right now....

ffg7

Splendid
try giving it a blast of air from either an air compressor carefully or from a can of compressed air to cleanout the cpu heatsink fan assembly. right not I wouldn't bother with bios update or switching drives til the overheating of the cpu is corrected as that is most likely slowing the bootup as the cpu throttling down the speed to lower the heat.

ip_1_me

Commendable
May 23, 2016
I'm trying to blow some air to give some help, but even that is hard. It takes several hours and no fans work on that point of the process... So boot looks almost like impossible

ip_1_me

Commendable
May 23, 2016
I will try tomorrow with my vacuum cleaner on the exit of the air, and then I will update bios, I'm afraid, last time it said "your actual bios is the last version" so I couldn't overwrite it...

ianjebbett44

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
It was taken out of my hands at the end of the day. The last attempt to boot the Z500 lasted over an hour and resulted in so much heat, I pulled the plug.
What I can say is that the HDD was tested and OK as was the RAM.
I bought a used Z500 with identical spec and was going to put my old HDD in, but in the end, I did a clean Win 10 install and reloaded the software I need. My gut feeling is that the Motherboard was the problem - maybe a dry joint. Just to say thanks for the help - tomsguide is a great resource.

ip_1_me

Commendable
May 23, 2016

So how do you think I can solve the issue? Once I achieve a boot, then how to proceed to repair it? thank you in advance

ianjebbett44

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Not sure the issue is solvable. I tried sucking air through the vent to keep it cool, but it didn't seem to affect the random times it took to get to the Lenovo Splash Screen. I was fortunate to find a used Z500 in excellent condition for 200. The hassle it has saved me was well worth it - I doubled my RAM and also have a set of spares - optical drive, hard drive etc. just in case. Good luck and I hope you solve the issue and let us know. Ian.

An-da

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
Could you find any solution to your problem? I have exactly the same issue with my Lenovo Z500 and have no more idea about the cause. The problem appears after shut down only. A restart is done in a few seconds. I already tried downgrade to Windows 8 but it didnt change anything. Each diagnostic test I do shows "no problem"...

Thanks in advance!

ianjebbett44

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

ianjebbett44

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
I didn't manage to track the problem down, except to say I think in my case it was a motherboard fault - perhaps a dry joint. My solution was to buy a second hand Z500 and configure it the same as the faulty one. I also have RAM, disc player, keyboard and hard drive as spares from the old one. The replacement is working fine - no problems. Sorry can't help further, but hope you find a solution.

An-da

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
Thanks for your fast reply!
I have one more question. Did you use the updated Bios version (1.21) on Windows 10? I still use the old version (1.17) cause I never had a reason for an update. I will do the update this evening because I guess it is the last thing I can try before doing the same as you have done.

Andrea

ianjebbett44

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

ianjebbett44

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Hi Andrea, to be honest, I never believed it was anything to do with the BIOS so was using old one. Like you, I never had a reason to update. I hope it is something as simple as a BIOS update, and hope it works for you. Good luck.
Ian.