Solved! LG 32GK850G-B Gaming Monitor

Nov 2, 2018
After much deliberation, I decided on this model even though it does not harbor speakers which is coming back to bite me in the rear end.

The only audio jack it has is a headphone jack and I was wondering how I can get speakers onto this bad boy, let alone 5.1 surround sound if possible.

Solution
Sound bars probably wont come with DP, but some come with HDMI. I don't know about a headphone jack, but you could probably get a switch to make it work with an optical audio. But really, for your use case, I think it is a bad idea to get a monitor without speakers. There are tons of good monitors out there, just pick another one.

And yes, 21:9 is awesome. HOTS does support 21:9 and you will be able to see more of the field. Once you go to widescreen, you cant go back.

WildCard999

Honorable
Jul 18, 2014
The best monitor speakers are usually worse then low end external speakers, even like a $25 set of speakers would be much better.

Nice monitor, I'm getting the LG 29WK600-W (can't justify the $110 difference on the 34" version) after I get my RX 570.

Nov 2, 2018
4 minutes ago

@feelingfroggy777
That would just dandy if consoles weren't an issue. I'm planning on hooking up a PS4 and Nintendo Switch to the monitor so having audio output on it is a general fix.

@wildcard999
I'm wondering if a 5.1 sound bar setup is actually possible through a headphone jack. Also, I'm an Overwatch player with a 1080 Nvidia card so that LG model was a big no for me, although ultrawide is tempting.

WildCard999

Honorable
Jul 18, 2014
As for the audio if you want to use consoles with it I'd get a decent soundbar for like $40 and plug it into the headphone jack.

Ultra wide is great but unfortunately Overwatch doesn't support 21:9, Blizzard did that on purpose for that game but there other games such as Diablo 3 and WoW support it.

Nov 2, 2018
@wildcard999
I'm not familiar with sound bars so their connectivity is a complete mystery to me. Do they include HDMI, DP, and headphone jacks?

Trust me, I know about the war on 21:9, I also play Heroes of the Storm but I don't know if 21:9 would be any good on it, if its even supported. But the idea of it is pretty awesome.

feelinfroggy777

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Sound bars probably wont come with DP, but some come with HDMI. I don't know about a headphone jack, but you could probably get a switch to make it work with an optical audio. But really, for your use case, I think it is a bad idea to get a monitor without speakers. There are tons of good monitors out there, just pick another one.

And yes, 21:9 is awesome. HOTS does support 21:9 and you will be able to see more of the field. Once you go to widescreen, you cant go back.

Solution