LG 4K UHD Vertical Grey Bars

allessior

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017
I purchased an 84in 4K UHD TV from LG 3 years ago. I paid over $20,000 at the time for this TV.

Recently, I noticed very annoying vertical grey bars, which are quite apparent with light background scenes. The bars are present for every input, including the on-board Apps, like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Youtube, web pages, etc.

I have gone thru LG’s recommended troubleshooting steps, but everything points to a fundamental issue with the TV. LG recommended that I call their list of certified repair centers, but even after multiple calls, NONE of the repair centers will call me back.

LG installed the TV on my family room wall 3 years ago, but the grey bars just started to appear about a month ago. Everyone who comes over to watch TV comments on the grey bars and how annoying they are.

It is clear that this TV is a lemon, which now goes for less than $10,000. I feel completely ripped off and will NEVER, EVER by another LG product and I am encouraging everyone here to spread the word that LG sells LEMONS and DO NOT BUY FROM THEM because they cannot service what they sell! From what I am reading on the internet, this vertical grey bar issue appears to be a known, chronic issue, which LG has decided not to address. What a horrible situation.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from allessior : "lemon, which now goes for less than $10,000. I feel completely ripped off and will NEVER, EVER by anothe LG product and I am"

Which model LG?

Have you contacted the seller or LG? Any warranty?

Realize that you are venting but really cannot help unless more information is provided.

Overall, my recommendation is to chronicle the facts and start a warranty claim via LG.

Or consult a lawyer (I am not a lawyer so this is not legal advice) regarding how you might be able to make some recovery via "lemon laws".

Especially with $10,000+ at stake....

Okay. The moderator's (thank you) merged your posts.

I see more of the matter and it does, indeed, appear that you have been trying to find some resolution.

That said, I will again reiterate my preceding response with respect to the 3rd and 4th sentences. And the 5th sentence with the amount being $20,000 instead.

allessior

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017

Hi, thx for the reply.

I am actually making two points:

1) The failure mode (vertical grey bars) seems to be a known, chronic issue based on my research. In addition, LG has very specific language with respect to troubleshooting vertical grey bars on their support web site. It is disappointing that they did not inform customers, especially those of us who paid in excess of $20,000 (the retail price in 2014, now reduced as one would expect). The model is 84UB9800-UA, an 84in 4K Ultra HD TV.

2) It is out of warranty (1 year parts and labor), but I have called every service center that LG recommends, multiple times, but none have returned my calls. I have been trying for a month, and if they fail to return my calls, this means that the TV is not serviceable.

So LG in essence is getting away with selling TVs at exhorbitant prices with a known failure mode, and once the TV is out of warranty, it is virtually non-serviceable. The TV is 3years old this October, 2017, and the picture is at times unviewable because of the distortion caused by the vertical bars.

Thank you again for your reply.