Solved! Lg G4 screen randomly flickers on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2019
Hi!
I have a LG G4 phone running on android 6.0 and I have a small issue which I hope someone might help me fix.
When the phone is locked the screen randomly flashes on for less than a second for no apparent reason. This happens even if the phone is resting on the table and none touches or gets near it.
After many attempts at resolving the issue, today I tried a factory reset but the problem is still there.
The only thing that changed is that before the reset the phone flashed showing a black screen and now it shows the locked screen.
Thanks to anyone who can help!

Solution
So it is still flashing even in "Safe Mode"? Hmm then I would be looking at either a software issue, which would mean a full "Hard Reset" of the device, or it is a hardware issue.

To be honest, at this point, I would be leaning towards it being hardware. If that is the case then you can either contact the manufacturer (if it is under warranty) or try a local tech.

Should you wish to try a "Hard Reset" first, the instructions are as follows...

NOTE: Doing this will clear 'all' the data on your phone, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the device.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.

To "Hard...
Sounds like something installed on the device is the cause. I would check your apps and their notification settings.

But, to be sure, before going through all your apps, try starting up the phone in "Safe Mode" and see if it happens in there. If it does, then it is something in the phone itself, either hardware or a main phone setting. If it doesn't happen in "Safe Mode", then restart the phone (turn it off and back on) to get out of "Safe Mode" and go through your apps.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the phone.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable it, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe Mode: OFF" rather than on.

To check the notification (and other) settings for each app go into "Settings" and then "Apps". Tap each individual app you wish to check and scroll down to its notification settings.

So it is still flashing even in "Safe Mode"? Hmm then I would be looking at either a software issue, which would mean a full "Hard Reset" of the device, or it is a hardware issue.

To be honest, at this point, I would be leaning towards it being hardware. If that is the case then you can either contact the manufacturer (if it is under warranty) or try a local tech.

Should you wish to try a "Hard Reset" first, the instructions are as follows...

NOTE: Doing this will clear 'all' the data on your phone, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the device.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.

To "Hard Reset" the phone...

1. Make sure that the phone is actually powered off.

2. Remove your SD card, if there is one in the device.

3. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.

4. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".

5. Next use "Volume Down" button to get to the "wipe data/factory reset" option.

6. When in recovery mode the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.

7. Once you have selected the "wipe data/factory reset", press the "Power" button to select that option.

8. On the following screen, repeatedly press the "Volume Down" button until the "Yes - delete all user data" option is what is selected.

9. Then press the "Power" button to hard reset the phone.

10. If you took your SD card out in step 2, when the device is up and running again, reinsert the SD card.

Solution
Jan 29, 2019
Hey! It seems to be working!

Actually the procedure to perform a hard reset for my phone was slightly different, but I managed.

Now I will have to install all my apps one by one and try to understand which one is causing the problem. Is that right?

Thanks for you help! :)

Yes. Installing them one at a time and letting them run for a bit will give you a better idea of what the cause is. It could be a setting in them or just the way the app itself is.

Make sure you keep an eye on what permissions said apps ask for as well. And note, before and after you install your apps, the number of apps on the device as well. Some apps will install other apps, without your permission. Sneaky they can be. So when you are done with all your installs go into the phone's "Settings" and then to "Apps" and take note of the total number of apps on the phone. Remember that number so you can make sure it doesn't go up on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.