LG G6 vs. Google Pixel: LG Crushes in Camera Face-Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

EljefeNorm

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
To me this comparison is just flat out backwards. On my 27-in. monitor, the G-6 was only superior on one shot; the "No Exit sign." Perhaps clarity and focus was not the goal of the comparison, but I know which one I would choose, hands down; notwithstanding the narrative. VERY one-sided view of the G-6!

Ferrocanis

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
Im sorry, but camera alone does not make a phone killer (even though im a huge LG fan), the most important advantage pixel has is the fact that you get updates straight from google, and no other android phone can beat that. tom's guide please atop making click bait titles, im blocking your notifications if i find another one

Ferrocanis

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
Eddit: my apologies to the author, your article did not had a clickbait title, but the push notification did, so can this person please stop that.

Ifixtheinternet

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
I agree that this is backwards.
Viewing these on a calibrated Samsung DLP in 1920x1080.

Maybe it's the G6 aperture, but the first two images do not appear to be taken from the same place.

However in the first picture there is more color variation in all the buildings taken with the Pixel. Particularly on the far left, where blacks on the building show as black on the Pixel, not gray like the G6.
Also notice the window lines are all clearly defined in the Pixel example, whereas most taken with the G6 are blurry, despite being zoomed in / closer. The overall picture looks brighter on the G6.

In picture 2, look at the Lego Hat in the dark areas around the rim.
The Pixel picks up the light colored legos around the edge whereas with the G6 they are blended and are almost invisible. There is also generally more detail in the picture, again, being further out than the G6.
Look through the window in the back, the G6 cannot cope with the light variation and the colors are washed out.

In picture 3 there is more detail in the wood grain, the carpet in the background, and the fruit with the Pixel. There is also better contrast, as it picks up both the black shadow in the background and the light colors in the basket better.

In The Empire No Zoom shot, the building and windows are clearly defined with the Pixel, again.
The sky gradient from light to dark has more contrast in the photo taken with the Pixel.

I see more detail, better contrast, and generally a more constant result with the Pixel.
In the first shot the G6 looked too bright and washed out, but the rest were too warm and colors were too saturated and not accurate.

Horus12

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
Agreeing with others here - the is maybe one shot where the G6 wins out but most of these shots the Pixel is a landslide win.

muzafar_1

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
I say that whenever the new phones arrives these critics start favouring the new ones even if it not good as the old one .

Mitchell_31

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
Everything on the phone looks more zoomed in which is why the Lego guy has more detail. The low light test to say lg won that is not accurate at all when on the pixel it looked like the red was more illuminated which if your looking for an emergency exit isn't that what you'd want? And of course the zoom test the LG won with two camera's when any phone that has one can't zoom in as accurate.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for your comment. The Pixel does have a very good camera, as we said in our review, but the G6 won this contest based on our analysis, which included working closing with our photo editor to analyze each image at full size and zoomed in.

foomanchoo80

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Your analysis is inaccurate because shots were taken at different positions/angles which has a profound impact on light and shadow...You might want to hire a different photo Editor

Murrzeak

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Directly opposite, hands down. Pixel had an overall better colour balance across the board and an outstanding HDR result. LG's shots are prone to have more red in them and sometimes quite a bit of blur.

Doug70

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
I understand now why people say that tom's guide became nothing more than a paid joke years ago. The iPhone 7 and the pixel both are obviously better than the G6. A position supported by almost ALL other review sites. All I can say is, I hope the checks are good.

I've only recently joined your site, but have no need to waste my valuable time with your paid, whitewashed drivel. Goodbye, and happy check cashing.

AndrewGM

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
In every single comparison shot, I prefer the Pixel. The images contain more information, have better resolution and contrast, and more realistic colors. The LG pics all look a bit muddy/lo-res to me, with unappealing colors. Any issues with the Pixel, such as darkness in the Flatiron Bldg pic, are easily adjusted in a photo-editing app.

Ben_186

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Thanks, did you try any photos of subjects in motion? Many of us want a camera that can get quick shots of toddlers or pets without blur.

Giacomo_4

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Lol I have a V20 but anyone can tell they the Pixel wins, at least in this comparison. Maybe once you bring manual mode into the picture the G6 will put up a shot, but as for this comparison the Pixel looks much better.

D co

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
Please test with a reference SLR. Else this is just an opinion piece.

It should all be about reproduction of images compared to an established professional reference camera. Then we can see how well they both do compared to those images, not each other. Comparing to each other does not tell us if they got closest to accurately reproducing the shot.

(Granted a reference SLR is not 100% true to scene, but it's better than imagining what it would be like or jus going off your comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.