LG OLED streaming problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

aardvarkish

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
I just returned my LG 65" OLED to the store.

When trying to watch Netflix or Amazon, the audio was often distorted (think "playing at an abnormally slow rate").

I called LG. "Yes, we know there is a problem. We are trying to solve it." End of discussion. For this much money, that is ridiculous.

At the store, they told me that two other identical units were returned for the same reason in the past two weeks. (And I live in a small town)

Why is this not cited in the reviews?

Does anyone have a solution? (because LG does not) The only thing that worked for us was turning the tv on and off until the speed came up as normal. Argh.

skwilson9876

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
I have the same issue with the same TV from the same Netflix and Amazon smart apps... except that my audio is fine, but the video is horrible (worse than standard def TV). I looked in the LG settings and see full wireless signal (5 bars). Then I used the Nefltix app which has a diagnostic option to test the internet connection/speed. Shows connection to the internet but the speed was about 1 Mbps after several different tests. I then checked the internet speed via my iphone while standing next to my TV and got ~65 Mbps upload and download speeds. So this indicates to me that something is wrong with the TV's onboard wifi. A call to LG customer service was no help... LG: "how far away is the router from your TV...", me: "20 feet", LG: "there is your problem... move the router closer or connect with a wired connection". Well, we already established the wifi has full signal and a test right next to the TV using my iphone hotspot turned on delivered the same results (~1 Mbps). So there is a problem here... hope that LG can push out a firmware update on this soon. In the meantime I will investigate running an ethernet cable from my DirecTV WVBR0-25 router (which is directly behind the TV) and using that as my internet source. Anybody try this before?

morsejh

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Because I have an old BluRay without wifi, I already have a network bridge device in my media center. It's not an extender - it offers 4 ethernet jacks and turns them into wifi.

I had both the poor video and audio others report, but connecting the LG to the network bridge via ethernet fixed the issue. It's a 10 year old bridge, a D-link. DAP-1522. Some old routers can be configured this way. For what it's worth, I found my Roku 3 worked better connected this way than using built-in wifi as well. This is a low cost (but not free) solution that saves frustration with an expensive purchase.

warren.passlow

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
I have a 2017 LG OLED TV and was experiencing the same slow internet issue and your solution fix this.

When I contacted LG Help, they didn't offer this solution. They asked me to first do a factory reset (which wasn’t desirable because I would have lost all my settings, which are required as part of a home theatre setup that I paid a professional a lot of money to configure). That’s when I went to the web in search of a fix and found this thread.

To better explain my issue, I have other devises connected to my home Wi-Fi in the same room as my TV at speeds of 90Mbps+ however my LG OLED TV was showing a speed on the Netflix speed test of only 9Mbps (Netflix/settings/get help/check your network).

I followed your advice and turned the TV off, waited a few minutes and turned it back on BUT I ALSO cleared and turned off the TV's advertising cookies (LGTV/settings/general/advertising cookies), I cleared the TV's web browser history (LGTV/web browser/menu/history) and the TV's web browser data (LGTV/web browser/menu/clear browser data).

I re-ran the Netflix speed test and it shows a speed of 96Mbp!

Thanks aardvarkish!

Feb 13, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.