Solved! Problem w/ Smart tv paired w/older av receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2021
I recently replaced my old plasma tv with a newer smart tv (LG 65” OLED). It is connected to a home theatre with a Yamaha HTR6190 av receiver (pre smart tv variety) via an HDMI cable. The setup went smoothly and cable tv works. Problem is that when I use the tv remote to go to Amazon Prime or Netflix, I get the picture but still get the sound from the cable channel! The store that sold me the tv says that my av receiver doesn’t have HDMI arc and the receiver is too old for the smart tv. Is he right, or am I missing something In the setup? currently all devices (CD changer, DVD player, VCR, and cable box) run through the av receiver. Would running them through the tv be the solution?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021
Problem solved. After doing some research, I learned that in the absence of HDMI ARC to HDMI ARC, the HDMI connection needs to be supplemented with an optical cable and the tv sound output has to be set for optical. Then, whenever I want to watch a web-based video/program, I have to switch the receiver input to the port with the optical cable connected to the tv. While the tv remote recognizes the cable box, it won’t recognize the receiver. Spending $1,000 on a new receiver with eARC would/should streamline the whole process, but I will save that decision for another time.

Status
Not open for further replies.