LG Revealing 84" 3D UDTV at CES 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

That's gonna require some serious graphics horsepower if you want to game on that screen in 4K! I don't even know how possible that is... With a quad SLI or Crossfire setup, can you go 4K res?

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
This might also be related to the upcoming 2012 Olympics, I've read somewhere that there'll be a special 4K broadcast in select parts of the event.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
@ CaesarRoyale, Yes, it should demand a hell lot more of GPU power to run GAMES in 4K at max settings.

Right now, 4K-res displays might remain untapped since there isn't alot of content for it (though there are 4K Youtube videos).

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Wishlist this year: LG 84'' 3D UDTV, 2 Radeon HD 7990's in quadfire.

Imagine having one of these TV's in your room, setting up a desk with a keyboard+mouse about 10 feet away, and gaming at that resolution? YES PLEASE.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]CaesarRoyale[/nom]That's gonna require some serious graphics horsepower if you want to game on that screen in 4K! I don't even know how possible that is... With a quad SLI or Crossfire setup, can you go 4K res?[/citation]
An AMD eye-finity setup can also be over 8 million pixels at 5760 x 1200, so yeah, I'd say that the last couple of generations of video cards could handle a monitor this size with no problems. That is, if someone decided to support the non-standard 3840 x 2160 resolution in a game, but the hardware could handle it just fine.

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I'm not sure why manufacturers are making UDTV's. There's no system in the world that is remotely capable of broadcasting signals quadruple the resolution of 1080p. I'm not even sure the technical standards are ready and finalized. If anyone's gonna see a UDTV picture then it would definitely be locally sourced; at least for the near future.

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
finallyyyyy a TV with a resolution above 1920X1080.....now lets hope everyone else follows suite with their TV's and Content..

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]weatherdude[/nom]I'm not sure why manufacturers are making UDTV's. There's no system in the world that is remotely capable of broadcasting signals quadruple the resolution of 1080p. I'm not even sure the technical standards are ready and finalized. If anyone's gonna see a UDTV picture then it would definitely be locally sourced; at least for the near future.[/citation]
Same reason that they make concept cars. Not because it is mainstream or even practical. But as a proof of concept to work out technical issues as well as show the world that they are a leader in the industry.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Truly this is something that only the government and spy agencies could possibly use in today's times. It would be absolute madness to see a live feed from the eye in the sky on one of these and be able to zoom down to check Bin Laden's new hairdo. Of course I mean the one who took his place.

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
The only content in that resolution worth seeing (right now) are games, and I suspect that TV has input lag up the cornhole (as do all TVs). At this time I'd rather take the asian boothbabe for a spin rather than this monitor. In 5 years the TV will be better and she will be worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.