LG Smart TVs Found Snooping on Home Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
This is just addition to what they found recently. I had a feeling my LG Smart TV was snooping on my home network via DNLA services. LG really needs to clean up their act if they ever going to gain our trust again.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
The lack of a website on port 80 means nothing. At least nothing more than they don't want people accessing that server from the web.
Does the MPAA offer a bounty system for manufacturers finding pirated material or something?

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
"LG clearly states that it gathers customers' personal information and uses it to suggest content and target advertisements."

This really annoys me, you pay god knows how much for a TV that LG have made a profit on and yet they still target ads at you. Its what annoyed me about the xbox 360, why should i have to put up with ads in my live tiles when i already pay a monthly subscription to the gold service?

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Google collecting private WiFi data:
"Google, that wouldn't be your hand in that cookie jar, would it?"
"Umm... No! Umm, I mean... yeah."

LG collecting data from TVs:
"LG, that wouldn't be your hand in that cookie jar, would it?"
"Umm.... No! Umm, it's your fault you agreed to the T&Cs! It's the Retailer's fault! No! Oh, umm... yeah."

I don't care if it returns a 404. That means nothing. I also don't care if they claim they aren't currently collecting the data (and how quickly do you think *that* particular server had its ethernet cable pulled?). The simple fact is, they had the idea - and the audacity - to do this. They've already violated your trust. Just be done with them. It's time to let LG dissolve, and its employees get absorbed by (hopefully) better and more honest companies elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.