LG Turning Plasma HDTVs into Touchscreens

Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Overkill? There is no point to standing next to such a large screen and trying to use it in a practical way. Since you have to have a PC nearby anyway, it seems clear that the TV is being used as a monitor. Just use the mouse or other pointing device from the PC.

G

They do it in elementary schools and offices every day and have for many years.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Touchscreen on a large (say 50" or more) plasma screen is a great idea. The whole stylus idea is really lame though, and drawing on your TV? Seems extremely pointless and gimicky.

If I could simply walk up to my TV and use an intuitive touchscreen interface, I think it would be awesome. Especially for not having to search for the remote everytime. The only caveat again would be size, I don't think it would work well for smaller tv's (40" or smaller).

Reminds me of the evolution of the mobile phone. Touchscreen works so much better than physical keys, and makes the interface open to so many more options.

Anyway, combine this with voice commands or something when I don't feel like getting up to change the channel and I can see this finally replacing the ancient remote control.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i cant wait for the youtube videos of people using hand balls to select crap go online.

just imagine the breakage that will undoubtedly come with it.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]...Especially for not having to search for the remote everytime... Anyway, combine this with voice commands or something when I don't feel like getting up to change the channel and I can see this finally replacing the ancient remote control.[/citation]
Or you could just stay in shape so getting up and down to change channels or finding the remote would not be such an arduous task...

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
@lamorpa

I work out almost every day dude, it's not that ... I just don't want to have to work out finding the remote (my kids always get a hold of it!)

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
@beardguy

I was just poking fun. I hate to search for the remote too. Actually going over to the TV is out of the question. It's so 1950's.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
@lamorpa

Lol, No harm no foul. Yeah I see what you're saying ... there's just something Minority Report-ish about it that I like :) Maybe if it implemented something like the Kinect for controlling the interface it would be better ... I can only imagine the fingerprint magnet that it would be to actual touch.

G

It'd be great for playing computer versions of Avalon Hill wargames (using Vassal or Cyberboard).

G

What about Screen Burn, have they solved that problem on Plasma Panels completely, if so that is definitely bigger news than this!

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Just replace the traditional blackboard with one of these and call it a day.[/citation]

Well there is something close to it already....... http://www.prometheanworld.com/server.php?show=nav.15

Almost (if not) every school in my county has one of these in each classroom. Now, we still have dry-erase boards in case there some kind of issue with them. (which happens once in a while.)

Although the one nice thing about these tv's are that they display 1080P vs my schools promethiums native 800 x 600 resolution......

hmmmmmm.....

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I cant see Tv's and touch screens working well together, new tech is needed, like Microsofts Connect or some other method of input without touching the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.