LG tv HDMI 3 has sound but no picture

Tman09

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Hi All,

I recently purchased an LG 55uh6030 and have been using it as the main tv. I have Cable, xbox one, and my PC all plugged in to the TV via HDMI. I have not had any problems with the tv till today. The HDMI 3 port only gives sound and no picture. I had been using this port for my PC and was using it as recently as last night. If I switch to a different port, the picture comes up. I plugged in the Xbox to HDMI 3 (different HDMI cable) and I get the same results. All of the TV functions display while on HDMI 3, but the picture coming from the PC or Xbox does not appear, just sound.

Is it possible that somehow only the HDMI 3 port is broken in a way that it will only carry sound? I am under warranty so this can easily get fixed with relatively little hassle. I was just curious if there is anything else I can attempt before going that route.

Thanks!

Edit: Something else just happened, all of a sudden HDMI 2 went out and HDMI 3 came back. Does this now sound like a motherboard issue?

RBlatman

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
There are usually anywhere from 2, 3 or 4 HDMI ports on the back or side of your TV. If you experience sound but no picture, you may have blown out your HDMI port that your cable box is plugged into. Unplug the cable box cable from the TV HDMI port and plug it into one of the other HDMI ports. Take your TV remote, press the input button and with the up and down key select the new HDMI port the the cable box cable was now plugged into. Press the enter key and you should have a TV picture. If you still do not have a picture, try another HDMI port. If you try all HDMI ports and still have no picture then you have a bad driver and you would either call a repair tech or if the price of repairs equals the cost of a new TV I would opt for a new TV.

RBlatman

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017

RBlatman

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
If your HDMI ports are dropping in and especially out, you are definitely having a 'mother board' issue. Go online and enter the number that is on your mother board (after you have taken off the back of the TV, and there are sights that sell the mother board for a very low price. It is basically a unplug the old and plug in the new. I had the same problem on my 55" Sony and the repair guy wanted 400 - 500 to fix ig. I purchased a board which was new in the sealed bag made by Sony and sold by an outlet for $45.00. Best investment I ever made. Shipping was free. ad the TV for another 4 years and gave it to my daughter for my grandson and he still watches his cartoons on it.