LG TV & Yamaha Sound Bar, connected but no sound

paddy888

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
I have a LG 55UB850T TV & a Yamaha YAS-207 sound bar. I have connected the pair via HDMI using ARC HDMI 2 on the TV and the ARC HDMI on the Yamaha. I have changed the sound output on the TV settings to ARC and tried auto & PCM and still have no sound. What am I not doing right???

Turning the sound down all the way isn't the same as turning the speakers off in the TV menu.
The HDMI-ARC has no advantage over optical so don't worry about it. Just saves a cable in some cases.
The next version of HDMI will have lossless audio over ARC so in the future that won't be the same.

paddy888

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
Yes I had the TV sound on zero. I connected an optical cable and it worked instantly. Preferred the hdmi output but have given up

Turning the sound down all the way isn't the same as turning the speakers off in the TV menu.
The HDMI-ARC has no advantage over optical so don't worry about it. Just saves a cable in some cases.
The next version of HDMI will have lossless audio over ARC so in the future that won't be the same.

Sep 3, 2018

Hi i am also having trouble connecting my Yamaha YAS 207 to my LG TV. Can you give me some guidance on how to correct this? I have connected the soundbar to the TV via an optical cable as well as HDMI but still not getting any sound.

May 8, 2019
I had the same problem.

I figured out why it was not working. Hope this helps everyone else.

Page 34 of the Yamaha's manual discusses how to turn on the ARC setting and the CEC setting on the soundbar. My ARC setting was turned off out of the box.

Basically, Turn off the Yamaha. Then, while off, hold down the surround button for three seconds. One light should glow and the unit should then turn on.

To disable, just repeat.

To enable CEC, turn off the Yamaha. Then, while off, hold down the HDMI button for three seconds.

Hope that helps everyone else having this conundrum!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Audio 0
Sound guy Audio 1
A Audio 1
J Audio 9
M Audio 1
C Audio 1
M Audio 3
D Audio 2
L Audio 2
S Audio 3
H Audio 1