Solved! Lid doesn't switch system to standby mode

Vox

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I have a HP laptop F0Y9EA#AKC model with the latest x64 windows 10.

Sometimes, when I close the [strike]lit[/strike] lid, the laptop doesn't go to sleep mode, therefore no password asking when anyone opens the lid.

Will this be a laptop or system problem? It's already set in power saving and other settings to go to sleep when the [strike]lit[/strike] lid is closed.

Thanks for any idea!

Solution
You can try restoring the computer back to its default power plans and then see if this resolves it. Just be sure you take note of what you have changed yourself in the settings so you can then try restoring those later and see if they interfere.

Follow these steps...

1. Press the Windows Key + X.
2. Select Command Prompt.

NOTE: Make sure you choose to open it as administrator.

3. At the command prompt, type "powercfg -restoredefaultschemes" (without the quotes).
4. Now press ENTER.
5. Again the command prompt, type "exit" (without the quotes).
6. Now restart the computer and see if it will work correctly.
Try this...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and click the "Power Options".
2. Next to the plan that is currently selected click "Change Plan Settings".
3. Now click "Change Advanced Power Settings".
4. Open the "Sleep Setting" and find "Hybrid Sleep"
5. Change/set it to allow.
6. Now click "Apply" and then click "OK".
7. Finally shut down and power up the computer.

Vox

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Just tried this Hybrid Sleep for a couple of days. Nothing's changed, the lit still doesn't put the system to sleep sometimes.

Could this be a hardware problem? I mean when I close the lid, a sensor gives the command to the system to go to sleep. Is it possible that the sensor doesn't give the command because it's broken? At least the screen goes black on closing. Sometimes it goes to sleep, sometimes not.

Vox

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

I'm not sure what other settings could be set to keep it awake. Also, don't really know what kind of programs could prevent the system settings. It's a small office laptop, we use word, excel, firefox, outlook, and printing documents mostly. Sometimes we play media in "Movies & TV", also playing window built in card games and such.

Well if those are the only programs, then it is likely not a program. Unless something got on the device that shouldn't have.

What I am curious about is you said the screen goes to sleep but the laptop isn't. If the screen is going to sleep then it is doing what it should. What is it that makes you think it isn't?

Vox

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
There's an Eset security system on the laptop and it didn't report anything suspicious in years so I don't think it's a virus or *anything bad*-ware.

I wonder if this is two separated task for the lid: one commands the screen to turn off and one task commands the system to go sleep.

I'm unsure if this is possible (even because of a hardware problem) that the lid only executes the "turn off the screen" command when it's closes but not the "put system to sleep" -- and moreover, there's the "sometimes" variable too.

Vox

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
On control panel I already checked the power plan and other energy settings before I came here to ask. Is there other places on CP to set the system reaction for closing the lid too?

You can try restoring the computer back to its default power plans and then see if this resolves it. Just be sure you take note of what you have changed yourself in the settings so you can then try restoring those later and see if they interfere.

Follow these steps...

1. Press the Windows Key + X.
2. Select Command Prompt.

NOTE: Make sure you choose to open it as administrator.

3. At the command prompt, type "powercfg -restoredefaultschemes" (without the quotes).
4. Now press ENTER.
5. Again the command prompt, type "exit" (without the quotes).
6. Now restart the computer and see if it will work correctly.

Solution