Link a 3.5mm mic to a 1/4" guitar amp?

Bob Tawkalott

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
Linking a TRRS 3.5mm Lavalier mic to an adapter to a guitar amp's 1/4" female plug - the one for the guitar.
Need to be able to use the amp's effects for a flute.

Solution
I'm sorry, I do not know the answer and you don't need guesses. This PC system forum may not not have the skills either to answer either. Suggest you google "mic flute" and find a few forums where people do pro sound recording. They can tell you if all you will hear is wind noise, or whether you will get a reasonable mix of sound from that mic. Of you can try it and see if you like how it sounds.

Bob Tawkalott

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
You may have hit this spot on - I've a Lavalier mic with a 3.5mm TRRS male plug designed for an I phone - supposedly when plugged in, it is not supposed to turn on the headphone part. Rather, it is just supposed to activate the mic, so you can havé an audio trac' with a vidio.

I'm going to attach the mic to my flute and want to plug it into my amp's guitar female plug which is female 1/4". So I don't need balance for stereo or headphones. My goal is to simply put the music signal into the amp's "music" input plug so I can use the amp's controls (gain, reverb, etc.,) on the flute sounds. I'm told that the TRRS Female plug may not work with a TRS adapter: that the signal may be out of phase?? I did get the right size adapter - Hosa GPM - 103 - that is a TRS, but I don't know if it balanced.

So, two sub questions - do I really need a balanced signal? And, does it matter on this set up if I'm going TRRS -> TRS?

Bob Tawkalott

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
You may have hit this spot on - I've a Lavalier mic with a 3.5mm TRRS male plug designed for an I phone - supposedly when plugged in, it is not supposed to turn on the headphone part. Rather, it is just supposed to activate the mic, so you can havé an audio trac' with a vidio.

I'm going to attach the mic to my flute and want to plug it into my amp's guitar female plug which is female 1/4". So I don't need balance for stereo or headphones. My goal is to simply put the music signal into the amp's "music" input plug so I can use the amp's controls (gain, reverb, etc.,) on the flute sounds. I'm told that the TRRS Female plug may not work with a TRS adapter: that the signal may be out of phase?? I did get the right size adapter - Hosa GPM - 103 - that is a TRS, but I don't know if it balanced.

So, two sub questions - do I really need a balanced signal? And, does it matter on this set up if I'm going TRRS -> TRS?

Bob Tawkalott

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
Sorry for repeat answer posting .. One more thing to simplify - here is the set up: 3.5 mm TRRS mic to a TRS adapter (3.3mm to 1/4" adapter ) to the amp's guitar plug in .... Hope this helps .

tsnor

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I'm sorry, I do not know the answer and you don't need guesses. This PC system forum may not not have the skills either to answer either. Suggest you google "mic flute" and find a few forums where people do pro sound recording. They can tell you if all you will hear is wind noise, or whether you will get a reasonable mix of sound from that mic. Of you can try it and see if you like how it sounds.

Solution

Bob Tawkalott

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016