Linux on An older (Core2 Duo) Macbook Pro 15"

JWoody

Estimable
Oct 30, 2014
Im considering and lilkely will if it works out, purchasing a older Core2 Duo based 15.2" Macbook Pro, I prefer to run Linux on my Laptops (Windows for Gaming but only on my AMD/Nvidia gaming desktop) and was curious as to if anyone would know if I need that Apple bootcamp crap to install it or if I could simply singleboot it as the sole OS. (I hope the second is the case as i dont like apple OSes)

If possible I would like semi or fully detailed tips, and warnings of pitfalls and or proceadures on starting the install and Installation of my Linux distro of choice (Linux Mint 17) on the thus aformentioned Macbook Pro.

Im am otherwise well versed with linux and PC hardware so the actual install procedure i am aware of.

Thanks for any help, it will be appreciated; JW

Solution
Bootcamp isn't a necessity -- it's more of an automated assistance for "dummies" (by which I mean computer illiterate). One of my MBPs (13" model), in fact, exclusively runs Linux with I3-WM as its GUI interface (which I recommend if you like minimalism and don't like "sparkle-sparkle"). Apart from that, you shouldn't have any problems installing Mint. Do you intend to use a DVD/CD installation medium or a USB stick?

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
Bootcamp isn't a necessity -- it's more of an automated assistance for "dummies" (by which I mean computer illiterate). One of my MBPs (13" model), in fact, exclusively runs Linux with I3-WM as its GUI interface (which I recommend if you like minimalism and don't like "sparkle-sparkle"). Apart from that, you shouldn't have any problems installing Mint. Do you intend to use a DVD/CD installation medium or a USB stick?

Solution

JWoody

Estimable
Oct 30, 2014
Ill use whatever is required, if i can boot it and install from USB though id prefer it, and TY, it about time somone answered, im guessing not many exclusively run linux on Macbooks. Main reason i dont like Apple OSes is its too "restricted" and ass backward to me.