Liquid damage to the laptop

Kaustubh_2

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
I accidentally spilled buttermilk on my laptop keyboard and some of it somehow also entered where the battery is lodged. The laptop powered off and at that time I didn't realize I had spilled something so I pressed the power button and it did not start. That's when I noted the spill. I took out the battery, cleaned the keyboard, inverted the laptop and left it under the fan. To avoid risking short circuiting I gave it to a repair shop but not before I tried to switch it on without AC power and it did switch on but I shut it off immediately to avoid risking everything. The repair shop guy told that my Intel Chipset was shorted and that it needed to be changed and that everything else is fine. Not wanting to question his knowledge I went ahead and now the laptop is working fine. My doubt is whether the chipset was actually damaged (since the laptop had switched on even though I didn't try using it fully)? How do I confirm the repair guy has actually changed the chipset? I have already paid the money but I am curious.

Solution
Your motherboard was likely replaced, only way to tell is open it and look at the screws and other parts that are in place around the motherboard, if they were moved you should be able to tell since they are often very hard to get to look like factory new after replacing. Screwdriver marks on the screws, tape that looked moved or not stuck properly, cables loose a bit, things like that.
Hi,

When say the Intel Chipset was replaced he can be talking about the CPU of the laptop or other chips soldered into the motherboard because there are tons of them inside. You can try opening the laptop and check if there's a chips that looks new but other than that, there's no way you'll know which part was replaced. :(

Your motherboard was likely replaced, only way to tell is open it and look at the screws and other parts that are in place around the motherboard, if they were moved you should be able to tell since they are often very hard to get to look like factory new after replacing. Screwdriver marks on the screws, tape that looked moved or not stuck properly, cables loose a bit, things like that.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS