Liquid spill on my new MSI gaming laptop. Have some questions

vishnu10003

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Hey everyone,

So I spilled beer on my laptop yesterday (I know I know, I wasn't drunk, it was a simple accident, coulda been water). I just bought it 3 months ago and it is the MSI ge72 2qf apache pro. Nice machine, been good to me so far.

It got on the middle portion of my keyboard. I dried with hair dryer and towel asap. The 2 buttons that didn't seem to work initially were the "Q" and "8" on my keyboard. Now today it seems they are working.

My question is: Could it have been possible I didn't do any damage? How would I go about checking computer hardware diagnostics to make sure everything running properly? (Sorry, am somewhat of a computer newbie. The computer doesnt seem slower overall though)

I do have a 1 year accidental warranty coverage from MSI but I don't want to send it in if nothing is wrong. Just want to be able to self diagnose any possible problems that could have occured.

Much thanks in advance!!

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
You never know if it could somehow affect the fannage, and does it hurt to check it out? Not at all. If temps are good and the computer is running well, he has nothing to worry about. There's no harm in checking temps.

vishnu10003

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Well it seems all my temps are under 90c, both cpu and gpu.

Are any other indicators in knowing if any hardware had incurred damage?

Also, funny thing, different keys seem to start and stop working. Like a couple minutes ago, the "r" key stopped working but now it seems 100% responsive. All other keys seem good. What could account for this?

ffg7

Splendid
beer in the keyboard. had to order 1 off ebay for a customer who spilt water on his after screwing up his upgrade from win7 to win10. just waiting for another replacement keyboard for another laptop with spilt water on it. you will most likely need a new keyboard because of that beer.

vishnu10003

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Is there anyway else for me to check for possible internal damage besides mailing it in and using up my 1 time warranty coverage? It's only a 1 time complementary service they offer so I dont want to use it if i dont have to

vishnu10003

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
I see. Thing is, from what I can tell, nothing seems wrong at the moment.

Im not sure what to do as I dont want to send it in, nothing be wrong, and then my 1 time accidental gets used for nothing.

On the other hand, maybe something is wrong from the liquid that I am not aware of.