Living with Windows 10: The Best and Worst So Far

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xray686166233

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Been running windows 10 in a VM and it works ok (slow).

I do agree with Cortana, it's like trying to talk to a person that doesn't know most of the English alphabet.

How do you have your memory allocated? it should be for example allocated with 6GB ram at :

4 GB to the host OS and 2 GB to win 10 VM or with 8 GB perhaps 6 and 2
It may run much faster on a primary hdd drive partition than in a VM depending on your configuration and HDWE.

jdh02472

Estimable
Mar 26, 2015
Since Windows 3.1 (!), MS has been claiming in advance of each new iteration that it will be faster than the previous one. All these claims have always been false.

What's always been true is that the newer OS takes up more space, requires more resources, and operates more slowly on existing systems than the previous version did. No reason Win10 should be any different.

quadcitynerd

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Cortana is nothing more than bloat that MS is using to not only slow me down but market to me. Like Toms Guide and their new website which is poluted with moving ads that distract, confuse and make browsing the site a pain, likewise MS and their new bitch Cortana are making life on the computer the same. You say Cortana is not yet smart, well it is a creation of Microsoft, so why would it be or become anything else but more useless crap to interfere with productivity? It will never be smart and unless Windows starts giving control to the users it will be the same looser OS that it is now in 8/8.1!

ddt529

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Just cannot get excited for another Windows build. Ubuntu and Android updates are more thrilling to me now. Windows jumped the shark with 8.

kingerz

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014
Seems like almost zero benefit again compared to Windows 7 and with a continuation of stupid decisions relating to search that already sound off-putting. A fast startup is pretty irrelevant since 7 is already fast on an SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.