Livio Radio w/ Pandora

radio_girl

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Hi,
I just got a Livio Radio and I wanted to know if anyone has one and if it works for them? I know I should have gotten opinions before I bought it but still would like to know what people think of it before I recommend it to my friends. The things that I liked about the radio was it has both Pandora (the online music streamer) and internet radio. The player syncs automatically with my online Pandora account and it has the thumbs up and down buttons just like on line. I can hook the radio up to other systems and other systems up to the Livio. If I run out of skips I can switch over to the internet radio without too much hassle. If anyone has one or has opinions on whether or not I should recommend Livio please let me know! http://tiny.cc/livio_radio_jl
Thanks
RG

cascadesjohn

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
RG,
The Livio Radio seems to be what every internet radio aficianado would want...except, despite how easy it seems it should be, I can't get mine onto our wireless network.
We have an Airport Extreme network at home, I've entered the hexadecimal version of our Airport password (never had to do any such thing before!), and still it won't work. It offers up the name of the network on the screen, but can't seem to connect. Keeps "timing out."
I am certainly dumbheadedly doing something wrong, but don't know what it might be. Livio support is patiently giving me help, but so far nothing works. If you or another Macintosh user out there can help, I'd appreciate it.
John

radio_girl

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I had some issues setting up my Livio too with my Mac. In the end it turned out that even though the Mac was new it had some hardware issues (I was just able to swap it out this last week).
Despite the hardware issues I was eventually able to connect my Livio. I'm not sure all the steps that the tech people have had you go through, but have you connected the radio directly to your internet router with the Ethernet cord to make sure that it's not a problem with the Livio itself? If helps if no one else is using the Wi-Fi at the same time. Once you get it to connect it shouldn't be an issue, or the Livio may simply be too far from the wireless router (out of range). Make sure to check your wi-fi strength on the menu to see if you're really connected. The factory reset should be a last resort but if you do, do a factory reset also unplug the radio from the back (not from the outlet). Let it sit for awhile and then plug it back in. I had to go through all this to get mine to work too. Once it connects once it's fine. I've had no issues with mine since. So try these steps out and if it doesn't work there's always the manual connect set up too. Let me know!

cascadesjohn

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Hi, RG - -
Darn. I'm working with the Livio about 8 feet from the Airport Extreme so I'm not out of range. I've tried hooking directly to Ethernet and the same lack of success. Tried the factory reset, and pulled the power cord out of the radio for a while.
I notice that on the bottom of page 15 of the User Helper manual that it says make sure some ports are open. Did you have to doodle with that, and if so, can you advise as to how I do that? Also, can you confirm that you had to convert your regular network password to hexadecimal format? That's what tech support told me to do and that really seems odd to me.
Thanks. John

radio_girl

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Hi John,
I'm not sure how to deal with the ports but I know there are two addresses for the Mac. One is for when you use the ethernet and the other is for the wireless router. You should check those and add the Livio if the Mac filtering is disabled. I know that their tech support just changed. I would do whatever it is that they say to do first. Did you try the hexadecimal format yet? I didn't have the Airport Extreme router. I'm not sure how much you spent on the router, but I know you can get a cheap one for about $25 if you look at newegg.com and other sites. If the Livio is having issues I would be surprised if other wi-fi toys didn't too. Plus you can sell the router online too which would most likely cover cost. I'm not sure if that's a viable solution but it's all I can think of. Let me know what works for you!

cascadesjohn

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Hi, RG - -

Selling the Airport Extreme is not an option for us. It works very, very nicely with everything else. Meanwhile, Chris from Tech Support will give me a call tomorrow morning and try to work me through my problems. Thanks for your aid. I'll let you know how it goes with Chris.

cascadesjohn

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
We have won the battle! With great assistance from Chris at Tech Support, we changed from WEP to WPA security and then entered a 64-character hexadecimal string in as the key. And, as you know, dialing characters in is a lot more frustrating than typing them in. Anyway, barring nuclear war, we probably won't have to do that again right away. Things are working fine. Thanks for your support. John