Annie F

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014
So I opened an email with a link to a Google doc which turned out to be a virus/scam. When going through my security set up subsequently I discovered that some one had hacked into my recovery email address (ntlworld.com) in June, redirected to a sham email and after three days, reinserted the correct email (I assume someone was phishing?).
I've changed all my passwords etc and set up 2-stage verification on Gmail but despite registering my main computer, every time I log into Gmail I need a verification code and I've just realised that Facebook now keeps saying I've logged in from an unrecognised computer.
I'm a bit freaked out in case someone has hacked into my computer and is still using it. Sorry to sound naive but does it sound like I need to worry and what shall I do if so? I've run anti-virus and anti-malware with no problems found. Thank you for reading.

Solution
Windows Defender is not great... try BitDefender - it's a free 30 day trial and not particularly expensive if you decide to continue with it.

Antivirus programs do generally have the unfortunate effect of slowing your system somewhat - the solution is to use the fastest system drive possible, which for most people will mean an SSD - an upgrade you will never regret if you haven't got one already.

Malwarebytes is good.

Re IP address not being recognised, I preume you're referring to Facebook and Gmail repeatedly requiring you to go through the 2-step authentication process.. I'm not sure what would cause this, however from an is-there-a-problem point of view if you change your passwords then anyone else who had access will no longer...

snowctrl

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
If your anti-virus and anti-malware are reputable, uptodate and you've changed all your passwords, chances are your fine - there isn't a lot more you can do, but you should be fine

Unlucky you got hacked, you've done all the right things so don't worry about it!!

However, if you're concerned that Internet Banking etc may have been hacked, you could ask for new debit and credit card numbers as well... or you could take out anti-ID-theft insurance, if you don't already have that as part of some other insurance...

As a final precaution, you can check your credit record with the likes of Experian, which should flag if anyone has been trying to get a loan etc in your name or using your address

Annie F

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014
Thank you Snowctrl. A bit hmm over the anti virus because I have been using Windows Defender (I've got Windows 8 installed) and I know some people say that's not great. I did have something more vicious called Comodo that someone recommended but it slowed everything up so I uninstalled it. I use Malwarebytes which seems good.

I just wondered why the IP address of my computer was now not being recognised when it had been before?

snowctrl

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Windows Defender is not great... try BitDefender - it's a free 30 day trial and not particularly expensive if you decide to continue with it.

Antivirus programs do generally have the unfortunate effect of slowing your system somewhat - the solution is to use the fastest system drive possible, which for most people will mean an SSD - an upgrade you will never regret if you haven't got one already.

Malwarebytes is good.

Re IP address not being recognised, I preume you're referring to Facebook and Gmail repeatedly requiring you to go through the 2-step authentication process.. I'm not sure what would cause this, however from an is-there-a-problem point of view if you change your passwords then anyone else who had access will no longer be able to

Solution