Logitech G910 Orion Spark Review — Spark of Genius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaggens

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
I sure hope this time localized version of Logitech keyboard won't be british layout, but since Romer G are pretty much a match for Cherry MX judging by this review - even that won't stop me from getting this one.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The smartphone dock is about the worst thing you could do with such a device. Most smartphones, especially the thinner ones, use IPS panels to get better viewing angles. The weakness of this design is that IPS panels are highly likely to get burn in. using it in place of the traditional logitech keyboard LCD, will ruin the smartphone.

kingpoon

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
@razor512...it's a smartphone, not a permanent lcd screen...most people actually do things with their phones other than syncing with their keyboards...if you plan on using a smartphone as a permanent keyboard display then the burn in wont matter because the information on the screen is always changing, so at worst you get burn in of a static entity like a gauge outline or a label which never changes so having it permanently burned into your display wont matter at all...if you dont plan on using your phone as a permanent keyboard display, then normal everyday use will render your point invalid

kingpoon

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
@razor512...it's a smartphone, not a permanent lcd screen...most people actually do things with their phones other than syncing with their keyboards...if you plan on using a smartphone as a permanent keyboard display then the burn in wont matter because the information on the screen is always changing, so at worst you get burn in of a static entity like a gauge outline or a label which never changes so having it permanently burned into your display wont matter at all...if you dont plan on using your phone as a permanent keyboard display, then normal everyday use will render your point invalid

goats

Estimable
May 19, 2014
Logitech wave keyboards are tools to consider when people spend a lot of time on computers. That identifies a ton of people in today's information technology age.

dragonthc

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Here are some very overlooked facts:
The lighting options are far more robust than any other offerings because of the open SDK which you failed to mention.

The keyswitches were meant to feel like Cherry MX browns while being better and quieter. 20 million clicks longer than Cherry MX isn't insignificant.

And finally, I question the qualifications of any reviewer who says that a PC game is better suited to a controller.

sitm

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
What you did not mention - when choosing a gameprofile all active keys are the same color and you cannot assign different colors to active keys.
This is very odd.

Of yourse you can create a schema on your own, but this you cannot link to a profile.

So this very essential feature is not to achieve with the LG-SW - most probably this will be possible only with the SDK. (not released yet - nor mentionaed at all on your review)

But how many of us are willing or able to fiddle around with the SDK?
Already asked at Logitechforum, but still no reaction from Logitech.

This basic and essential feature has to be reachable easily via the LG-SW.
This kb is made to allow this and it doesn`t.

dragonthc

Honorable
May 26, 2012
The SDK has been out for almost a month. http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/developers

sitm

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
No, when looking at the SDK there is no support for G910.
SDK for G910 not released yet, only ARX-SDK.

sitm

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014

sitm

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014

dragonthc

Honorable
May 26, 2012

The lighting SDK is for g910 and the g-key SDK is also there.
" develop in-game effects, or mark keys to keep track of cool downs on various commands"
"Assign the functions of G-Keys from within your application's own UI, without having to exit to use the Logitech Gaming Software."

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I bought this from Best Buy a couple days ago. All I can say is I am VERY impressed. The keys are the perfect size unlike the much more cramped G510/710 keys. As noted in the review it doesn't have the click clack of other mechanical switches but the G910 does have sound feedback and the keys are vastly better than membrane keyboards. 179.99 is pricy but after a couple of days I couldn't settle for anything else.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I bought this from Best Buy a couple days ago. All I can say is I am VERY impressed. The keys are the perfect size unlike the much more cramped G510/710 keys. As noted in the review it doesn't have the click clack of other mechanical switches but the G910 does have sound feedback and the keys are vastly better than membrane keyboards. 179.99 is pricy but after a couple of days I couldn't settle for anything else.

Executor32

Estimable
Dec 28, 2014
@dragonthc: I question the qualifications of any PC gamer who believes that KBM is the optimal control setup for every type of game, and looks down on those who don't. First-person games, strategy games, MOBAs, most MMOs, and some third-person games? Absolutely. But racing/driving games, flight sims, fighting games, platformers, and most third person games in general play better with a controller of some variety, be it a gamepad, flight stick, or racing wheel.

LeCreaux

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
I own this keyboard and the first thing I noticed was that the asymmetrical wrist rests are not very comfortable for touch-typing. The wrist rests are just clip-ons, they need to at least offer a symmetrical clip-on for sale.

Th3-Hunter333

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014
I also own this keyboard with a custom profile for the coloring of each key, most only changed on the left side.
It is without question just flat out beautiful (i could not ask for a better keyboard)
Easily the best one ive owned ever

wraith808

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
I own this keyboard, and two things I'd like to add- the ability to program the colors for games is there; it's linked to the gaming profile. And the software has a major memory leak, and doesn't handle out of memory conditions well at all. I was playing a game, and the game was all of a sudden responding less after an extended gaming session. The LCore process was using 4GB(!) of RAM. I tried several different solutions mentioned online, and all of them were stopgap measures. This has been going on since they released build 145 last year, and they've barely acknowledged it, and refer you to the user workaround, which is a stopgap measure, and disables the use of the Arx control. Very disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.