Logitech X540 to Logitech Z623 upgrade? Worth it?

Shiggy

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Is it worth it to upgrade from x540 to z623?

x540 is 5.1, while z623 is 2.1.

If I was to ask the specific...

How much different are the bass on the two speakers?

How much different are the quality of sound coming out from the satellite speakers?

Will the difference "blow me away"?

Solution
Having never heard those computer speaker systems I can't give you an answer but if they sound ok to you then that is a good thing! haha.

And you are correct that even though there can be a difference in sound, is it really worth 30 times the price? Nope, unless you have the cash and have the right room and equipment. 300.00 used/new speakers can sound great.

If you want to eliminate cords and etc. Get some good headphones. I prefer having the option of headphones and speakers but really for the price good headphones are a nice option. I bet that audio shop has some and bring over some music/movies that you like and try some out.

be seeing you, the Prisoner...

Shiggy

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013

Thanks again thee_prisoner. =)

If I keep on going for the better speaker then I feel like there is no end to this. I'm looking for a set of speaker that I like and can afford rather than to go for the best the money can buy. Maybe there are good set of home stereo speakers out there that I could afford, but I seriously know nothing about audio brands and the types there are so it's very difficult for me to do the research.

Right now I'm just trying to find the most cost effective speakers that is better than my X540.

After doing my own research my choice moved from:
ONKYO GX-D90 --> Promedia 2.1 --> Z623

I moved from GX-D90 because one, price at $130. Two, would need 3 cords and 2 adapter/switcher.

I moved from Promedia 2.1 because the reviews suggested that there were too many problems. Felt like they won't last long.

Finally at Z623 because Logitech(Logicool in Japan), is at $87. Considering these are originally $150, and that these are not that bad of a speaker I might as well go for this one.

I'm just comparing Z623 to X540. Not trying to see if there are better choices than Z623 because I'm pretty sure there are many others that is much better than Z623, and like I said before if I start hunting down for the better, there is no end to this.

However if you have a recommendation on a speaker I'll definitely look them up. I don't have a specific budget.

Shiggy

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
Just to add, when I went into a audio shop to listen to some speakers I noticed that price does not show how much better the sounds are at all. If I was listening to the speakers blind-folded and was listening to a specific speaker that was price tagged at $300 vs speaker price tagged at $10,000, I noticed there would've been times when I would have definitely chosen the $300 speaker, while other times I would have definitely chosen the $10,000. So it was down to just personal preference.

The ultimate speaker will never be found but the chase if fun! You should be able to discern between a 300.00 and 10, 000.00. I'm not saying a 300.00 speaker is a bad choice but wholly quacamoly Batman, it isn't that hard to notice a difference, unless of course it's some monitor speakers. It's definitely of course to hear them at your home, using your amp and source material first. SO if a good quality 300.00 sounds good to you, there is nothing wrong with that. I would also suggest bringing your source material in the store and trying different sets out. Now used is a great option if they offer that.

For example http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652 are they great nope but for 35.00 they sound pretty dang decent!

Are you in Japan?

be seeing you, the Prisoner?

Shiggy

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013

I sure can tell the difference, it's just that I can't deny that I like the sound of those 300.00 speakers as well, and when I think about the price difference and tell myself, "will I like those 10,000.00 speaker that I'm willing to pay extra 9,700.00 for them", I tell myself nope.

Those Dayton Audio B652 doesn't look bad at all, however makes me wonder what the final price would be with the extra cords, amp, bass(sub), and shipping.

If I was able to listen to these speakers I bet my decision would be made right away. Just looking at numbers, reviews, and sometimes video(though it doesn't tell much) is difficult.

Right now I may likely stick with the Z623. It's just so simple, inexpensive, too much bass(which I like), free shipping, and being a good speaker for its price is making Z623 shine in my eyes.

Yes I'm in Japan.

Additional note:
I just looked at Logitech again and found Z906 5.1 system. Now I'm wondering how those are compared to X540, and compared to Z623. :??:

Having never heard those computer speaker systems I can't give you an answer but if they sound ok to you then that is a good thing! haha.

And you are correct that even though there can be a difference in sound, is it really worth 30 times the price? Nope, unless you have the cash and have the right room and equipment. 300.00 used/new speakers can sound great.

If you want to eliminate cords and etc. Get some good headphones. I prefer having the option of headphones and speakers but really for the price good headphones are a nice option. I bet that audio shop has some and bring over some music/movies that you like and try some out.

be seeing you, the Prisoner...

Solution

Trpratt

Estimable
Jun 2, 2014

Hey man I'm in the same boat as you and was just wondering if you did decide to upgrade your x540 system? I find the bass harsh and want to go with a bigger or better sounding sub, something smoother, more boomier. If you did buy another logitech system does the sub work with your x540 satellites? Thanks.