Logitech Z506 - Only sound coming from front L/R and subwoofer (2.1)

conizme

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Hi guys, I have a problem with my Z506. I bought it yesterday, and have tested each speaker individually and they all work fine.

I have set up the speakers using an analog connection (Green, Orange and Black) to an External USB 5.1 Sound Card.

The three cables come from the back of the subwoofer, into the front of the sound card in the correctly colored ports.

The problem is, that when I test my speakers in the Windows sound setup, I choose 5.1, but when I go to test the rear left speaker by clicking on it, the test sound comes out the front left speaker, the rear right speaker test sound comes out the front right speaker, and the center speaker test sound also comes out of the front right speaker.

I have tried two separate sound cards so I know this isn't the problem, I have also made sure the audio source I am using is 6 channel.

Also, even if I was listening to a 2 channel audio source, should the sound not come from all the speakers together anyway? Not just the front two and the sub?

When I plugged my Xbox 360 into the system using component cables into the TV, and the red and white into the stereo on the back of the sub, sound came from all the speakers, but obviously this wasn't 5.1

I was just wondering if anyone with the same speaker system or similar setup or knowledge in this subject could help me out? It's probably something really obvious but I can't figure it out.

Thanks

Edit: Should also mention, when I plug my front left speaker into the rear left port, and test the rear left, sound is very quiet and sounds like its actually coming from the subwoofer.

Could the rear left and rear right ports on the back of the subwoofer be faulty?

The problem is, that when I test my speakers in the Windows sound setup, I choose 5.1, but when I go to test the rear left speaker by clicking on it, the test sound comes out the front left speaker, the rear right speaker test sound comes out the front right speaker, and the center speaker test sound also comes out of the front right speaker.
is there software which came with your external soundcard or a physical switch on the unit for 2.1/5.1? it almost sounds as if your soundcard is the issue here and is taking the 5.1 signal and pushing it into 2.1. check the software included to make sure its set to 5.1.

When I plugged my Xbox 360 into the system using component cables into the TV, and the red and white into the stereo on the back of the sub, sound came from all the speakers, but obviously this wasn't 5.1
a red+white rca connection is stereo only. perhaps these ports are forwarded to the rear speakers inside the sub. if you connected these to the green port with a 3.5mm stere to RCA adapter you woud probably note that the speaker fired just on the fronts and sub with this input. to get surround out of this for your xbox you will need a box which splits off analog inputs for audio from hdmi or optical. however, such devices arent cheap.

Also, even if I was listening to a 2 channel audio source, should the sound not come from all the speakers together anyway? Not just the front two and the sub?
no. it would only come out the front speakers and sub.

Edit: Should also mention, when I plug my front left speaker into the rear left port, and test the rear left, sound is very quiet and sounds like its actually coming from the subwoofer.
hard to say unless you isolate it from the computer. plug in a phone or mp3 player to green input then test fronts. then plug into the black to test the rears. if you test it in the manner you just did it doesnt prove anything as it could be your soundcard not working not the speakers.

Could the rear left and rear right ports on the back of the subwoofer be faulty?
a possibility, but more than likely its your soundcard. to test this, do as i said above and use a mp3 player as a source for each of the 3 input cables testing one at a time. you should get sound on those speakers.