logitech z906 (THX certified but lacks HD audio decoding ) or pioneer ht 071 (Dts HD master audio,Dolby truehd but no THX)?

vigneshsai20

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
I'm building my 1st gaming pc. i also planned to watch blu-rays by hooking up my new ps3 super slim with dell s2440l monitor. since i don't have any LCD/LED television my pc is going to be my all purpose entertainment system. when it comes to audio, i came across 'logitech z906' which i found quite suits my need and budget. (and also THX certified ) but then i found it lacks HD audio decoding like Dts HD master audio,Dolby truehd etc.., which i think is invaluable for blu-rays. on the otherhand, pioneer htp-071 which almost costs the same as logitech z906, lacks THX. which one to choose ? or what else can i do to get the both within the same budget? any other suggestions are welcomed.

Solution
I would go with the Pioneer rather than the Logitech. THX certification varies from device to device and does not really indicate the overall quality. The better audio processing for Bluray is much more important. Many manufacturers just don't want to increase the price of a product just to have a THX logo on the unit. I would also check out Onkyo.
I would go with the Pioneer rather than the Logitech. THX certification varies from device to device and does not really indicate the overall quality. The better audio processing for Bluray is much more important. Many manufacturers just don't want to increase the price of a product just to have a THX logo on the unit. I would also check out Onkyo.

Solution

vigneshsai20

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013

thanks alot.
i'll buy a good Htib now and in future i would upgrade it with a THX certified speaker system.

my personal suggestion would be something like the energytake 5.1 (about $350) and pair it up with a half decent receiver. that is however a decent reach outside the price of the z906. (probably $450-500ish total)

however it appears that the htp-071 you list isnt terrible sounding for the price. at least the receiver that comes with it has a decent number of input ports (which often are lacking on HTIB sets). the one thing that worries me though is a few reports of the hdmi ports not working and mention of poor build quality.

vigneshsai20

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013

Energy take 5.1 exceeds way too much frm my budget and it doesn't come with av receiver. no hd audio i think. I knw buying receiver and speakers separately yield better result but i'm tight on budget. that's why i chose HTIB route.
how about yamaha yht 196?
wat about logitech z906? it also has positive reviews across internet. small space of my room is also an issue here. do 2.1 support hd audio?