LOL CHEAP CELL PHONE, IS THIS LEGITIMATE?

Solution
it definitely looks like a scam.

first of all, its located somewhere in china. quite a few scams originate from china especially in places other than main business centers like hong kong.

second it has a rediculously low price. this indicates either a phony, stolen phone, display model (the plastic non working version) or other such issue.

then it states 118 were sold but there is zero feedback. this looks like account manipulation (where someone "buys" the product multiple times and leaves zero or good feedback to entice buyers but is connected to the seller).

---

if the page indicates that a real working phone is to be delivered (its vague at best) then ebay (and paypal) buyer protection are likely to come into play but yes this...
it definitely looks like a scam.

first of all, its located somewhere in china. quite a few scams originate from china especially in places other than main business centers like hong kong.

second it has a rediculously low price. this indicates either a phony, stolen phone, display model (the plastic non working version) or other such issue.

then it states 118 were sold but there is zero feedback. this looks like account manipulation (where someone "buys" the product multiple times and leaves zero or good feedback to entice buyers but is connected to the seller).

---

if the page indicates that a real working phone is to be delivered (its vague at best) then ebay (and paypal) buyer protection are likely to come into play but yes this buyer is likely to just take money and run. since they arent in the usa they can avoid legal action.

stay far away or report it as suspicious.

Solution

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
You see scams like this all the time though to be honest, especially from China, Nigeria, and Russia.

For example when I moved a few months ago there was an ad for a house in one of the high end neighborhoods of my new city on kijiji.com. There was only one photo and the person was asking for only $900 a month rent. Upon inquiring he stated he was a doctor and works for Red Cross and is currently in Nigeria helping their efforts. Told me to send him the damage deposit and he'd mail me the keys. I lol'd and shot an email to the site staff, the ad was removed within an hour.

inzone

Splendid
Yes the scams on ebay are well known and easily recognized. One of them ended up on tv on the Judge Judy show where this person was selling a picture of a cell phone. Where the person carefully worded the auction so they couldn't get charged she got them with mail fraud because of the weight of the item when shipped didn't match the weight of a real cell phone. (the item being the picture of the cell phone)

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Why wouldn't you just tape a roll of pennies to it or something?

Durp durp durp.

People are idiots, lol. It's sad there's scams like this out there, but it's even sadder when people fall for them.

I got a call a little while ago from some Indian guy claiming to be from Microsoft tech support saying they were getting error messages and asking me to let him remote access my pc. I laughed and said I have a mac and he swore and hung up.

seriousgamer

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

Did his Prince cousin contact you later and ask for your bank information so that he could wire millions to your account?

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
No, though I would have loved that. Making people like them rage is one of the things I am very very good at.

I had a telemarketer on the phone once for over an hour trying to sell me a fridge.
"Does it hold Jello?" "..yes sir, it holds Jello." "What about beer?" "Yes.. beer too." And on and on and on.