LoL running slow after crash?

thirdcloud

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
So. I recently got a laptop (used one) from my dad. It has a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics card, 4gb's of RAM, Intel core i3 processor and a 500 gb harddrive. When I just got the computer it was running League of Legends on max graphics around 70-90 fps and lowest around 130-150 fps. My computer got really hot when I played so I decided that I should buy a cooling pad. One day before I was going to buy the cooling pad I played some Path of Exile. I played like 2-3 hours and eventually it crashed. Not blue screen or anything just like turned off instantly. The next day I bought a cooling pad and decided to play some League of Legends. When I started the game I realized my fps were about 20-40 on max settings and 30-55 on lowest. The same happened to my cousins laptop. It crashed because of overheating (we think) and League of Legends now runs very slow. Our computers are almost equally powerful. It's not alot of difference. We havent tried many other games but we would like to know what has happened and how we can fix this. Thanks for reading! :)

Solution
The computer may have been damaged when it crashed due to heat.

A cooling pad was a good investment. I would do a few more things.

1) Get compressed air and clean the computer.
2) Look up a video on taking your computer apart and see if it's possible to remove and apply thermal compound to your GPU. Also clean it too. You might want to take it to a computer shop to have this done but you can do it yourself too.
3) Run a benchmark application and compare it to bechmarks for your make/model online.

mjmacka

Honorable
May 22, 2012
The computer may have been damaged when it crashed due to heat.

A cooling pad was a good investment. I would do a few more things.

1) Get compressed air and clean the computer.
2) Look up a video on taking your computer apart and see if it's possible to remove and apply thermal compound to your GPU. Also clean it too. You might want to take it to a computer shop to have this done but you can do it yourself too.
3) Run a benchmark application and compare it to bechmarks for your make/model online.

Solution

thirdcloud

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

Ok thanks! Whats a good benchmark application you would recommend? And what kind of damage couldve happened to the laptops? Is it fixable?

mjmacka

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I would use Futuremark or Passmark.
Futuremark's 3dMark: http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark/all
PassMark: http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

Most likely, it would be something GPU related or thermal compound. I've seen cases where a component (CPU or GPU) continually heats up and then starts to "fail."
In some cases, this can be fixed by removing the component, cleaning it with 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol (to remove old thermal compound) and then reapplying thermal compound.

thirdcloud

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

Ok really thanks bro!! :D I will check it out.

TRENDING THREADS