Looking for 5.1 setup for PC

Acelondoner

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
I currently use a set of Creative Gigaworks T-40 2.0 speakers
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Multimedia-Audiophile-Configuration-Technology-x/dp/B001IZZ2PO

I have been happy with the sound quality on these. I am now wanting to go 5.1 but I don't want to lose sound quality.
I prefer good mids and highs, I don't need crazy bass (I have bass set at only a quarter on my t40's). So far, the only set I have come across is the Logitech Z906 which is a nice price but I hear the set focuses on bass and the speakers are not very clear. I assume this set would be a downgrade compared with the t40's other than that it is 5.1.

What would you guys here recommend?

Edit: I forgot to add. Will mostly be used for gaming and film, not much music.

Solution
My brother in law has the Creative 2.0 set and brother has the Logitech set, and I've listened to each set for at least over an hour in music and games checking them out. I thought it was pretty awesome Acelondoner happens to be considering between these two sets.

The Logitech set has a great soundstage while the Creative 2.0 sound great for a budget set of speakers - the Creatives just can't hold a candle to even the single driver handling double-duty for mids and highs. While the Logitech set doesn't sound as good as my Klipsch 4.1 set currently sitting in my attic, it's close. And it took a full home theater setup (Onkyo THX amp and Paradigm/Klipsch speakers) to retire the Klipsch 4.1 set.

Looking at the scale of audio quality to...

bigwoofer

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Oh boy welcome to 5.1 audio for your computer! The T-40 and Z906 are completely different classes of audio setups. If you like the T-40 for music, you will fall immediately in love with the Z906. Sure you can turn the bass up, just don't. The Z906 has clear mids and highs, very tight, powerful bass that gets only exactly as loud as you enjoy :)

Popa2caps

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
I can try to help but i've been using studio monitors for all my media for 10 years. I'm using the same monitors as well, lol Mackie MR8 x 2 powered. I guess you could just add 4 studio monitors and use a sub with filter, should work.

dudio

Admirable
Just looking at them, the Creative ones sure look capable of producing a wider range of good mids and highs because each speaker has 2 low/mid drivers, and a dedicated tweeter for highs. The logitech features a full range speaker where the speaker tries to be both a woofer and a tweeter. Sure the sub can handle the lows, but the satellites aren't likely as bright as you like. As for the bass, the Logitech wins, and I'm tempted to believe you keep the bass down on the Creatives not because you dislike bass, but because their drivers and cabinet aren't suited for great bass.
I think you might like something like this:
http://www.edifier.com/ca/en/speakers/s550-encore-5.1-surround

Each satellite features a dedicated tweeter and woofer for a wider and efficient range, and the 10" sub can more than handle producing good bass. Bass doesn't have to be muddy or boomy, and you can tweak when it works via a crossover control, and keep it tight and true.

bigwoofer

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
My brother in law has the Creative 2.0 set and brother has the Logitech set, and I've listened to each set for at least over an hour in music and games checking them out. I thought it was pretty awesome Acelondoner happens to be considering between these two sets.

The Logitech set has a great soundstage while the Creative 2.0 sound great for a budget set of speakers - the Creatives just can't hold a candle to even the single driver handling double-duty for mids and highs. While the Logitech set doesn't sound as good as my Klipsch 4.1 set currently sitting in my attic, it's close. And it took a full home theater setup (Onkyo THX amp and Paradigm/Klipsch speakers) to retire the Klipsch 4.1 set.

Looking at the scale of audio quality to performance, and me being an audio snob, I highly recommend the Logitech set. You'll especially love the huge volume knob! And if you want to upgrade from there, it's a very easy upgrade to some higher end left/right/center speakers on the Logitech setup.

Me personally? Depending on space, I'd go with the Logitechs (smaller space) and a full home theater setup if you want to take it further.

Solution

Acelondoner

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

Very informative post, thank you. You have really helped me in realising why I liked my current speakers so much, what kind of sound I like and what I should look for in future speakers. I think you're right in that the satellites on the Logitech z906 will not offer enough clarity in the highs. I will probably be disappointed. I have however decided to purchase the z906 system with the intention of upgrading the satellites later if they are not what I want. I couldn't pass up the low price of the z906 when comparing to other 5.1 systems.

This will be my first 5.1 system after all. I think it's probably wise not go all out straight away.