Looking for a barebones laptop large screen

Genieinabottle

Estimable
May 13, 2015
My laptop recently went kaput, bad motherboard I think. So I'm looking to find a barebones laptop with a good enough processor for gaming(i5 or i7 preferably) with a screen that's about 16 or 17 inches. I want a windows 8 touch screen laptop but that seems to be out of the question since their screens are like 10 inches. I don't really care about any of the other specs of the laptop as long as I can upgrade them later on(like the video card, HDD, ram, junk like that).

I honestly don't game that much but when I do it's generally heavy stuff so I want to be able to actually play without wanting to kill someone. Also I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to motherboards. I mostly just know how to take a computer apart and put it back together again. So any suggestions would be helpful.

What do you mean by a barebones laptop? They don't really make laptop kits. Need a budget also.

For gaming, you would want at least an 840m range video card for lower end stuff and low settings, 860m and up for medium settings in most games, low on the newer demanding games.

Genieinabottle

Estimable
May 13, 2015
Right, budget would be around like $700. Basically what I meant by a barebones laptop is a laptop with a good enough motherboard that I can just switch out the other parts with better ones. Like, it could have a small HDD, ram, bad speakers, what ever since I could replace all of those as I went as those are all basically interchangeable but the motherboard is more like, computer specific since you can't take one and put it in another from a completely different brand/series. So as long as the motherboard is actually decent then the rest of the parts I really don't care for.

Unless I'm completely wrong and am just making a fool of myself?

ffg7

Splendid
ram is not always interchangeable as your laptop might use ddr2 ram & new laptop might be ddr3. also all optical drives interface with motherboard are not the same as there is at least 2 different type so not compatible with each other.

You can't really do this with laptops. RAM, yes, hard-drive yes, speakers not likely since they are sized for the case.

You don't buy a cheap laptop and then upgrade parts on it like you can with a desktop, it's a lot harder to find parts and will be much pricier. For a lower end laptop that can run some games, Lenovo Y40 is a good pick.