Looking for a college/ moderate gaming laptop

Tom 77

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I have been searching for a laptop with similar specs to my current laptop which is a Dell inspiron 17r se with a GT650M, intel i7, 1TB HDD, and 17.3" 1080p display. I have found some but they are mostly from manufacturers that i have had no experience with nor have ever heard much about. One in particular is ASUS with its G75 ROG laptops. In my own searches i have read mixed reviews about nearly every company/laptop i have found. I have had dells for as long as i can remember and have had little to no trouble with them, however their current offerings just don't fit my needs. Thus my search into other brands. I finally happened upon this site and it seems as though people get very good feedback here. So can you guys help me in my search?

Tom 77

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

Thanks for the reply. I did find a laptop with the same specs as those you posted for even cheaper so i went for it! Can't wait to get it!

kaswyn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007

Breakdown:

The ASUS you posted:
-Going for $1,250.88.
-Has a regular 2.5 inch slot for you to purchase a regular laptop SSD to make it faster.
-Is like 10 pounds
-Has a 5400 RPM drive with SATA II (3GB/sec) for the SATA controller.

The MSI I posted:
-Going on sale for $1,050 (regular price $1,300+)
-Comes in Windows 8 or Windows 7 versions -slightly different models.
-Has an mSATA port for you to purchase a laptop SSD (with mSATA instead of regular SATA connection) to make it faster.
-Is like 6.6 pounds
-Has faster hard drive at 7200 RPM SATA II, although its controller is SATA III (6GB/sec).
-Has a manual fan (on top of the automatic one) you can turn on to cool the laptop further when you're doing hardcore gaming. Should extend the life of the laptop you'd think.

DOH! You could saved $200 and spent about $100 on an mSATA SSD, and not carry around like 3-4 extra pounds?

Tom 77

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

Well i actually had a little over 200 in credit on amazon from gift cards, so i did get it for about 1000, and the extra weight well i don't mind, my current laptop is about the same weight and i don't really think its that heavy haha

Tom 77

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013

Also i think the laptop looks sweet too :D But yeah i'm happy with my decision Haha, hey i appreciate you trying to get me the best deal though!:)