Looking for a laptop, around 1k (pref. lower), most I can get for photo-editing and college workloads, maybe some gaming.

tibrael

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
1. What is your budget?

$1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15-17", preferably. I may consider a 14 if the specs are right, but I like larger screens and keyboards.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

at least 1080, but the bigger the better!

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portability would be nice, but I may want a Sager gaming laptop.

5. How much battery life do you need?

As much as possible.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Sure! I do have a desktop for gaming, so maybe it isn't essential... but I wouldn't mine a laptop with a 1060 inside. This is what I have been looking into, so far, but I want to see what else is out there as well. My home pc has a Ryzen 7 1700x, gtx 960, and 16 gb of ram... so I can play modern games (like PUBG) at home.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Photo Editing, for sure. As a Fine Art major in college, I believe this is necessary.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I would like a 500 gb SSD, but I am willing to get a 256 and upgrade with at 2nd drive at a later date.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I was considering www.xoticpc.com for Sager, but I'm open to ideas.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Through college, at least. Looking for upgradability (up to 32 gb SODIMM upgrade option, preferably NVMe and SATA drive possibilities).

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I don't care about an optical drive, but I do want a Thunderbolt 3 port for my Google Pixel.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Looking at Sager currently, but I'm open to brand options as long as it is will not fall apart in a year (like I have read some Dell's have been known to do).

13. What country do you live in?

USA

Solution
http://deals.dell.com/productdetail/xeo

This has an i7 and a GTX 1050, it will do light gaming (in fact pretty decent gaming for a budget), but more importantly it should easily handle your photo editing. It has one of the best CPUs you can get in a laptop. I would however suggest either selecting more memory before placing your order, or upgrading the RAM immediately when you get it, as photo editing can easily need more than 8GB of memory.

Pretty sure it ticks just about everything you want, especially being under $1000 if possible haha. Good luck man.

(if you can swing it the GTX 1060 in the laptop above would be a bit more powerful in games, but not necessary if you're not super worried about gaming)

gamertaboo

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
http://deals.dell.com/productdetail/xeo

This has an i7 and a GTX 1050, it will do light gaming (in fact pretty decent gaming for a budget), but more importantly it should easily handle your photo editing. It has one of the best CPUs you can get in a laptop. I would however suggest either selecting more memory before placing your order, or upgrading the RAM immediately when you get it, as photo editing can easily need more than 8GB of memory.

Pretty sure it ticks just about everything you want, especially being under $1000 if possible haha. Good luck man.

(if you can swing it the GTX 1060 in the laptop above would be a bit more powerful in games, but not necessary if you're not super worried about gaming)

Solution