Looking for a laptop to connect an external video card to

samuraimastr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I am currently on the hunt for a laptop (preferably something on the thinner side with a screen size of 15.6"+) that has an i7 4700 or higher series processor that could be, in some way shape or form, used with an external video card. After looking into the matter, it appears that this can only be accomplished via a Thunderbolt port (which is on few notebooks apart from Macs, which I do not want), a laptop with an expresscard slot (which I cannot seem to find any of), or an mPCIe slot (which I can also not seem to find any of). If there is a way I'm missing I would love to hear it. I'm not sure if there's anything out there, but I was hoping to keep within a budget of about $1300 max. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance~

steveowashere

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

Why do you want a laptop to connect to an external video card? What are you trying to do?

Normally, external video cards are terribly slow, and not very well supported (as i'm sure you've noticed) So it's better to buy a laptop with a good dedicated video card.

Some of the Asus gaming notebooks (the G-Series) have Thunderbolt port: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/Gaming_Products/
Some of those are in your price range.