looking for a laptop with good cpu and no dedicated gpu

Jason_169

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
i am looking for a laptop with a good cpu and atleast 8gb of ram and hdd hard drive 500gb or 1tb and HD+ screen or FHD screen and i dont want it to have a dedicated gpu since i am on a budget and i wont be needing it or a good battery i want it for gaming (using an Egpu) thats why i dont want a Dgpu since i wont need it and i need a cpu good enough to not bottleneck me if am getting a gtx 960 or 970 and for ram i need 8gb or preferably more

Solution
Any mid range or higher end video card will be bottlenecked by the external video card 1x PCIe interface speed. Did you research external video card use before deciding to do this? By the time you buy a laptop, external card adapter, power supply and the video card, you would have spent just about the same on a laptop with a decent video card to begin with. Or get a desktop for gaming and a cheaper laptop for work on the go.

Laptops with good quad core CPUs are not cheap, even without a high end video card.
Any mid range or higher end video card will be bottlenecked by the external video card 1x PCIe interface speed. Did you research external video card use before deciding to do this? By the time you buy a laptop, external card adapter, power supply and the video card, you would have spent just about the same on a laptop with a decent video card to begin with. Or get a desktop for gaming and a cheaper laptop for work on the go.

Laptops with good quad core CPUs are not cheap, even without a high end video card.

Solution

Jason_169

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
i did some research about it the most convient answer i found was a graph of the egpu it showed a like 10-15% decrease on external monitor and 25-35% decrease on the laptops monitor and nonethless this decrease can be overcome with OCing (especially that the card wouldnt be in a confined space like with a computer case) and you cant OC a laptop and the price i would pay for a gtx 960m 4gb labtop i can get a laptop and a gtx 960 for Egpu and for the price of a gtx 965m laptop i can get a gtx 970 and both well outperfrom the laptop options i have even after the decrease and with no OCing

Overclocking a card when the bottleneck is the interface won't change anything. If you have a 4 mm hole in a bucket, dumping more water in the bucket won't allow more water to pass it. You'll also need to have the case cracked open to use the adapter, I can't really say what cheaper systems are good to use like that, the only ones I know have a good case design to take apart with a good size for a cable are the Lenovo business systems like the T and W models. Maybe the older HP systems also from last generation. This may be OK also https://www.amazon.com/MSI-CX62-6QD-047US-PORTABLE-i5-6300HQ/dp/B01AC40O8G/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1473857386&sr=1-3&keywords=i5-6300hq

Jason_169

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
nice metaphor i am familiar with the lenovo T models just dont know wich mean you are suggesting i didnt find any lenovo T laptop that has anything special to use with Egpu i mean they are all pcie x1

I am not talking about the mini PCIe slot, just the fact that the cases are good to work with if you need to have a cable hanging out of it, it's not some thin or flimsy thing that will crack or snap easily.